What does "compressibility is abridged" translate to?

In summary, the individual is doing independent research in aeronautics and their professor recommended looking into the phrase "compressibility is abridged." However, they are unsure of its context and have searched the internet and their book without finding any information. They plan to potentially post questions about this in the future. They also mention the best way to start learning about this topic is by reading books on Fluid Dynamics.
air_novice
I'm doing an independent research in aeronautics (realistically I'm just learning the material on my own and testing out of it due to unforeseen circumstances last semester). One area of study that my professor advised me to research in depth was just this simple phrase "compressibility is abridged."

It sounds simple- the word abridged means "to shorten." However I haven't the slightest clue what context it relates to. I do know it pertains to thin airfoil theory (depending on how good this forum is, I may post questions about that in the near future). I've searched the entire internet and the book and I feel like I can't find anything pertaining to this idea.

Thank you in advance for any aid; and I really hope this particular proff isn't affiliated with this forum- that would be embarrassing.

air_novice said:
I'm doing an independent research in aeronautics (realistically I'm just learning the material on my own and testing out of it due to unforeseen circumstances last semester). One area of study that my professor advised me to research in depth was just this simple phrase "compressibility is abridged."

It sounds simple- the word abridged means "to shorten." However I haven't the slightest clue what context it relates to. I do know it pertains to thin airfoil theory (depending on how good this forum is, I may post questions about that in the near future). I've searched the entire internet and the book and I feel like I can't find anything pertaining to this idea.

Thank you in advance for any aid; and I really hope this particular proff isn't affiliated with this forum- that would be embarrassing.
Best way for you to start reading Fluid Dynamics book FM white or Anderson, the question you posted does not have any Answer, it has tonnes. I would suggest you to post some specific questions when you are reading about the topic.:smile:

1. What does "compressibility is abridged" mean?

Compressibility refers to the ability of a substance to be compressed or squeezed into a smaller volume. Abridged means shortened or condensed. Therefore, "compressibility is abridged" means that the substance's ability to be compressed has been reduced or limited in some way.

2. How can compressibility be abridged?

Compressibility can be abridged through various means, such as increasing the pressure on the substance, decreasing the temperature, or adding certain chemicals or substances that affect the arrangement of molecules within the substance.

3. Is compressibility being abridged a good or bad thing?

It depends on the context. In some cases, such as in the design of airplane wings or car tires, a lower compressibility can be beneficial. However, in other situations, such as in the compression of gases for storage or transportation, a higher compressibility may be desired.

4. How does compressibility affect the properties of a substance?

Compressibility can affect a substance's density, viscosity, and thermal conductivity, among other properties. When a substance's compressibility is abridged, these properties may also be altered.

5. Can compressibility be measured and quantified?

Yes, compressibility can be measured and quantified through various methods, such as using a compression testing machine or calculating the substance's bulk modulus. These measurements can help determine the degree to which compressibility has been abridged.