1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What does gravitational potential mean ?

Tags:
  1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    Gravitational potential energy between 2 objects is ##-{G\times M\times m\over R}.##
    My question is, does the value of this equation of this equation mean total gravitational potential energy of both objects ?
    i.e, say the gravitational potential energy of object with mass ##M## is ##p## and, that of object with ##m## is ##P##.
    So, ##p + P = -{G\times M\times m\over R}## or ##p + P = -{2G\times M\times m\over R}## ??

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the gravitational potential energy of ##m## with respect to the gravitational field of ##M##. It is also the gravitational potential energy of ##M## with respect to the gravitational field of ##m##. The opening sentence of your post is not correct because it should not contain the word energy.

The gravitational potential is a slightly different concept and involves only one object. It is not energy, but needs to be multiplied by the mass of another object to give a potential energy.

The potential of the gravitational field of ##M## at distance ##R## from its centre of mass is ##-\frac{GM}{R}##. We call that number the 'gravitational potential at distance ##R## from ##M##'.

The potential of the gravitational field of ##m## at distance ##R## from its centre of mass is ##-\frac{Gm}{R}##. We call that number the 'gravitational potential at distance ##R## from ##m##'.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

God i am really sorry, i meant potential energy not just potential. That is the reason why you should do physics at 2 am morning. Sorry i will edit my question.

5. Oct 29, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No, you are right. What you've given is indeed the potential of the gravitational force on a test mass ##m## outside a spherically symmetric mass distribution at rest around the origin of your reference frame with total mass ##M##. The potential indeed is
    $$V(r)=-\frac{G M m}{r},$$
    and the force is
    $$\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla} V=-V' \vec{\nabla} r=-\frac{G M m}{r^2} \frac{\vec{x}}{r}.$$

6. Oct 29, 2016 #5
    should this read 'the potential energy of mass m at a distance r from mass M is $$V(r)=-\frac{G M m}{r},$$'

7. Oct 30, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Both is correct: The potential of a vector field is a scalar field, whose gradient gives the vector field (supposed there exists a potential for the vector field). If a force has a potential that does not explicitly depend on time, then energy is conserved, i.e., for a particle subject to this force you have
    $$E=\frac{m}{2} \vec{v}^2+V(\vec{x})=\text{const}.$$
    In this context ##V(\vec{x})## is called "potential energy" of the particle.

8. Oct 30, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends on whether you take ##M >> m## and assume that ##M## does not move. In that case, ##m## has all the PE of the system, which is indeed:

##V(r) = -\frac{GMm}{r}##

But, if you take the case where ##M## is not so large and both masses move, then the above is the total PE of the system and, for example, if ##m = M## then each mass has half the PE.

9. Oct 30, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to be careful, as these are fields valid for a "test mass" and, if you have two masses, ##M## and ##m##, they cannot be test masses for each other simultaneously.

The OP's question arose from a problem where ##m = M##, and so neither was a test mass for the other.

10. Oct 30, 2016 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

If the masses are close, then you should rather interpret the potential as an interaction potential,
    $$V(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)=-\frac{GmM}{|\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2|}.$$
    Then it's convenient to introduce center-of-mass and relative coordinates
    $$\vec{R}=\frac{m \vec{x}_1+M \vec{x}_2}{M+m}, \quad \vec{r}=\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2.$$
    Then the center of mass moves with constant velocity, and the equation of motion for the relative coordinates is that of a particle with mass
    $$\mu=\frac{mM}{m+M},$$
    the reduced mass, and force potential
    $$V(\vec{r})=-\frac{GmM}{|\vec{r}|}.$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted