Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean that the gradient is perpendicular/paralell to a vector?

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    For a solenoidal velocity field [ tex ] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} [ /tex ] which means that [ tex ] \nabla [/tex ] is perpendicular to [ tex ] \mathbf{u} [ /tex ].

Similarly, for an irrotational velocity field [ tex ] \nabla \times \mathbf{u} [ /tex ] which means that [ tex ] \nabla [/tex ] is parallel to [ tex ] \mathbf{u} [ /tex ].

So what exactly does it mean physically to have a gradient (of nothing) parallel/perpendicular to a vector?

PS - whats up with latex not working?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    Don't put spaces in square brackets for tags. I fixed this issue in the quote above.

What you've posted doesn't make much sense. There seems to be many problems with it. For a solenoidal velocity field [itex] \mathbf{u} [/itex], [itex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} [/itex] is the divergence of u.

[itex] \nabla [/itex] is known as http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Del.html" [Broken], and not "a gradient". It may be thought of like a vector of differential operators.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Re: What does it mean that del is perpendicular/paralell to a vector?

Sorry, let me correct and ask again:

For a solenoidal velocity field [tex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} = 0[/tex] which means that [tex] \nabla [/tex] is perpendicular to [tex] \mathbf{u} [/tex].

Similarly, for an irrotational velocity field [tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{u} = \mathbf{0}[/tex] which means that [tex] \nabla [/tex] is parallel to [tex] \mathbf{u} [/tex].

So what exactly does it mean physically to have [tex] \nabla[/tex] parallel/perpendicular to the velocity vector?

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    Del may be thought of as a vector of operators. Claiming that del is perpendicular to a vector in ℝ3 makes no sense, like assigning a real number value to the plus sign.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    Your answer is exactly what I was thinking but, as you can see from http://i.imgur.com/VmbKS.jpg"in my hydrodynamics lecture, it is not what my professor claims. Hence the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook