What does it mean vector in the positive dirction of the y-axis.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 6K views
tebes
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If vector a is added to vector b = 7.4i + 7.7j, the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y axis, with a magnitude equal to that of vector b. What is the magnitude of vector a?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


(Is the vector in the positive direction of the y-axis same positive direction of x-axis?
cosθ=u.v/||u|| ||v||
||ab||=5=||b||.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Positive direction of the y-axis is: pointing straight up. :smile:

Positive direction of the x-axis is: in a direction horizontally to the right.

This assumes the usual x-y orientation, with y-axis vertical, and x-axis horizontal.
 
NascentOxygen said:
Positive direction of the y-axis is: pointing straight up. :smile:

Positive direction of the x-axis is: in a direction horizontally to the right.

This assumes the usual x-y orientation, with y-axis vertical, and x-axis horizontal.


Does it mean the vector of a,b,and ab are pointing in the same direction? Therefore, the angle of the c is lying on x-axis or y=axis ? :)
 
tebes said:
Does it mean the vector of a,b,and ab are pointing in the same direction?
No. (Mind you, I don't know what you mean by "the vector of a,b,and ab", but the answer is still no.) :smile:

In fact, I don't know what you mean by "b = 7.4 + 7.7" either. What do you think you mean?
 
NascentOxygen said:
No. (Mind you, I don't know what you mean by "the vector of a,b,and ab", but the answer is still no.) :smile:

In fact, I don't know what you mean by "b = 7.4 + 7.7" either. What do you think you mean?

I'm sorry for my "hanging" sentences. ( b=7.4i + 7.7j ).
 
tebes said:
The question is fixed. :)

And what about the answer? Also fixed?
 
NascentOxygen said:
And what about the answer? Also fixed?
Unfortunately, no. I'm still thinking. I would be appreciate if you can help me out . :) thank you.
 
A vector in "the positive direction of the y axis" will be in the form of pj, where p > 0 .
 
Draw a set of axes. Draw an arrow representing vector B. Now, add another vector to the end of B, of a magnitude & direction that makes the resultant sum to be a vector that points vertically upwards.