1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean vector in the positive dirction of the y-axis.

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If vector a is added to vector b = 7.4i + 7.7j, the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y axis, with a magnitude equal to that of vector b. What is the magnitude of vector a?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (Is the vector in the positive direction of the y-axis same positive direction of x-axis?
    cosθ=u.v/||u|| ||v||
    ||ab||=5=||b||.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Positive direction of the y axis is: pointing straight up. :smile:

Positive direction of the x axis is: in a direction horizontally to the right.

This assumes the usual x-y orientation, with y axis vertical, and x axis horizontal.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

Does it mean the vector of a,b,and ab are pointing in the same direction? Therefore, the angle of the c is lying on x-axis or y=axis ? :)

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4
    May I have some hints for this question ?
    :)

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5

NascentOxygen

No. (Mind you, I don't know what you mean by "the vector of a,b,and ab", but the answer is still no.) :smile:

In fact, I don't know what you mean by "b = 7.4 + 7.7" either. What do you think you mean?

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6
    I'm sorry for my "hanging" sentences. ( b=7.4i + 7.7j ).

8. Oct 6, 2011 #7
    The question is fixed. :)

9. Oct 6, 2011 #8

NascentOxygen

And what about the answer? Also fixed?

10. Oct 6, 2011 #9
    Unfortunately, no. I'm still thinking. I would be appreciate if you can help me out . :) thank you.

11. Oct 6, 2011 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A vector in "the positive direction of the y axis" will be in the form of pj, where p > 0 .

12. Oct 7, 2011 #11

NascentOxygen

Draw a set of axes. Draw an arrow representing vector B. Now, add another vector to the end of B, of a magnitude & direction that makes the resultant sum to be a vector that points vertically upwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook