What does the bi stand for in bicarbonate, what is the purpose?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sqw
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Sqw
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
There's only one carbon atom...
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It just refers to the fact that it's a carbonate ion with an H+, essentially a proton, attached to it. I'm not sure where 'bi' comes from, but that's the reason why bicarbonate is also sometimes called hydrogen carbonate.
 
I think it's a compound consisting of 2 carbon atoms. Yep, they are the same Carbon - 12 atoms.

I usually use this which helps me a lot :

Mono - stands for one ( sometimes not mentioned like in maths ;) )
bi - stands for two
di - stands for two
tri - stands for three

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-

Make sure you read it :)
 
Welcome to PF!

Hi Sqw! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I think it predates the modern understanding of molecules, and was because a bicarbonate contains twice as much carbon (ie it produced twice as much CO2) as the carbonate of the same metal.

eg NaHCO3 contains twice as much C per Na as does Na2CO3 …

since the latter is obviously a carbonate, the former must be a bicarbonate! :biggrin: