What Does the Maximum Proper Distance at z ~ 1.7 Mean in Cosmology?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cosmology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi all.

When looking at a graph that shows the proper distance at the time of emission as a function of the redshift z in a model-universe with only matter, the proper distance at time of emission has a maximum at about z ~ 1.7. What does this maximum mean?

I can see that light with a high redshift must come from a source, which was initially close to us, and similarly light with a small redshift also comes from close to us. But again, what about the in-between, i.e. the maximum?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's distance at the time of emission, yes, small z comes from sources nearby in distance and time and large z comes from sources that are currently far away, but were close at the time of emission because the universe was so much smaller. I think that's what you are saying. So, sure, then there must be a maximum. I don't think that maximum has any particular significance.
 
Ok, thanks. I didn't suspect it having any meaning, but it's always nice to get a second-opinion.