What does the unit hp means?

In summary, "hp" stands for horsepower, which is a unit of power that measures the amount of work an engine can do over time. It is equivalent to 550 foot-pounds per second or approximately 746 watts. The actual value of 1 horsepower can vary depending on the specific horse.
sybozo
What does the unit "hp" means?

I admit that my physics sucks because it has been a long time since I heard the word "physics" but putting that aside, what does the unit "hp" represent/means? I don't remember learning that unit in school.

Eg. An engine develops 85hp

I'm guessing it's a Power unit and if it is, would it be like 85 hp = 8500 watts/J? or would it just be 85hp?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

jtbell said:
hp = horsepower. Exactly how big it is depends on the horse. :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Google Calculator gives a value of 1 hp = about 746 watts.

Thank you very much for replying! :smile:

1 horsepower = 550 ft-lb/sec.

You are correct, "hp" is a unit of power and stands for horsepower. It is commonly used to measure the power output of engines and motors. One horsepower is equivalent to 746 watts, so in your example, the engine is producing 63,410 watts (85 horsepower x 746 watts per horsepower). It is important to note that horsepower is a unit of power, not energy, so it cannot be directly converted to joules. I hope this helps clarify the meaning of "hp" for you.

What does the unit hp means?

The unit hp stands for horsepower. It is a unit of measurement for power, specifically mechanical power. It is commonly used to measure the power output of engines, motors, and other mechanical devices.

Is hp the same as kW?

No, hp and kW (kilowatt) are two different units of power. While hp is commonly used in the United States, kW is more commonly used in other parts of the world. 1 hp is equivalent to 0.746 kW.

How is hp calculated?

The calculation of hp is based on the amount of work an engine or motor can perform in a certain amount of time. It is calculated by multiplying torque (measured in pound-feet) by rotational speed (measured in revolutions per minute) and dividing by 5,252.

Why is hp still used as a unit of measurement?

The use of hp dates back to the 18th century when it was first used to compare the power of steam engines. It is still used today because it is a familiar unit and is easily understandable by the general public.

Can hp be converted to other units of power?

Yes, hp can be converted to other units of power such as watts, kilowatts, and foot-pounds per minute. Conversion factors can be used to convert hp to these units. For example, 1 hp is equivalent to 745.7 watts.