What Does the XY Plane Look Like in 3D Rotation Scenarios?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axis Rotating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0
Look at picture for more details...

Book says...
" A body is free to rotate only about the z-axis. Within the body any particle of
mass m can move only in a plane parallel to the xy plane."

What would the xy plane look like? I am assuming by "xy plane" this does not mean x and y axis...?

I added a picture of what I think they are talking about... is this correct??
 
Attachments
  • circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Look at picture for more details...

Book says...
" A body is free to rotate only about the z-axis. Within the body any particle of
mass m can move only in a plane parallel to the xy plane."

What would the xy plane look like? I am assuming by "xy plane" this does not mean x and y axis...?

I added a picture of what I think they are talking about... is this correct??

The xy-plane is the 2D coordinate plane formed by the x- and y-axes. In other words, it is the set of all points for which z = 0.