Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this tensor symbol mean?

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1
    In a paper, the authors write:

From what I know of the standard incompressible equations, it seems that

[tex]\rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \rho (\textbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\textbf{u}[/tex],

but otherwise, I have no idea what the [tex]\otimes[/tex] symbol means.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2
  4. Jul 6, 2010 #3
    I thought about that, but that doesn't make sense. If we interpret the symbol as the outer product, then [itex](u,v)\otimes (u,v)[/itex] is a 2x2 matrix. But as I pointed out, it seems that

[tex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}[/tex]

which is simply a vector.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

The quote in the original post tells you for certain that [itex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}[/itex] is a tensor, as the tensor [itex]\tau_d[/itex] is being subtracted from it (and you can't substract a 2x2 tensor from a vector). Your deduction that [itex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{u}[/itex] is incorrect. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

6. Jul 6, 2010 #5
    Okay, maybe there's a simple way for you to explain it to me. Can you simply break down the original equation into vector form (2d is fine).

7. Jul 6, 2010 #6
    From

[tex]
    -\tau = \rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} - \tau_d
    [/tex]

it is clear that
    [tex]
    \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}
    [/tex]
    has to be a tensor; I don't know where or why you have,
    [tex]
    \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}
    [/tex]
    but my guess is that it can't be correct.

8. Jul 6, 2010 #7
    There was a typo in my 'guess'. It should have been

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}) = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}[/tex]

Checking it over, that's correct.

What a confusing way to write the Navier-Stokes equations. I have no idea why the authors didn't just write them in the typical way everybody else uses without the tensor notation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook