What does this tensor symbol mean?

In summary, the authors write that the momentum flux -\tau = \rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} - \tau_d must obey conservation laws of mass and momentum at the continuum level, where the density of the fluid is assumed to be constant.
rsq_a
In a paper, the authors write:

At the continuum level, the dynamics of incompressible flow has to obey conservation laws of mass and momentum:

[tex]\rho \partial_t \textbf{u} = \nabla \cdot \tau[/tex]

and

[tex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{u} = 0[/tex]

where the momentum flux [tex]-\tau = \rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} - \tau_d[/tex]. Here [tex]\rho[/tex] is the density of the fluid which is assumed to be constant, [tex]\textbf{u} = (u,v)[/tex] is the velocity field, and [tex]\tau_d[/tex] is the stress tensor.

From what I know of the standard incompressible equations, it seems that

[tex]\rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \rho (\textbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\textbf{u}[/tex],

but otherwise, I have no idea what the [tex]\otimes[/tex] symbol means.

Physics news on Phys.org
zhermes said:
That's a 'tensor product,' or 'outer product.'
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product

Maybe some one has a good conceptual description?

I thought about that, but that doesn't make sense. If we interpret the symbol as the outer product, then [itex](u,v)\otimes (u,v)[/itex] is a 2x2 matrix. But as I pointed out, it seems that

[tex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}[/tex]

which is simply a vector.

The quote in the original post tells you for certain that [itex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}[/itex] is a tensor, as the tensor [itex]\tau_d[/itex] is being subtracted from it (and you can't substract a 2x2 tensor from a vector). Your deduction that [itex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{u}[/itex] is incorrect. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Mute said:
The quote in the original post tells you for certain that [itex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}[/itex] is a tensor, as a tensor is being subtracted from it. Your deduction that [itex]\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla \mathbf{u}[/itex] is incorrect. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Okay, maybe there's a simple way for you to explain it to me. Can you simply break down the original equation into vector form (2d is fine).

From

[tex]
-\tau = \rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} - \tau_d
[/tex]

it is clear that
[tex]
\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}
[/tex]
has to be a tensor; I don't know where or why you have,
[tex]
\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}
[/tex]
but my guess is that it can't be correct.

zhermes said:
From

[tex]
-\tau = \rho \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} - \tau_d
[/tex]

it is clear that
[tex]
\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}
[/tex]
has to be a tensor; I don't know where or why you have,
[tex]
\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u} = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}
[/tex]
but my guess is that it can't be correct.

There was a typo in my 'guess'. It should have been

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{u}) = \textbf{u} \cdot \nabla \textbf{u}[/tex]

Checking it over, that's correct.

What a confusing way to write the Navier-Stokes equations. I have no idea why the authors didn't just write them in the typical way everybody else uses without the tensor notation.

1. What is a tensor symbol?

A tensor symbol is a mathematical notation used to represent a tensor, which is a mathematical object used to describe the relationships between different quantities and their transformation properties. It is typically represented by a letter or a combination of letters with subscripts and superscripts.

2. How is a tensor symbol different from other mathematical symbols?

Tensor symbols differ from other mathematical symbols, such as numbers and variables, in that they represent a specific type of mathematical object with unique properties and transformation rules. They are also used to represent a wider range of quantities and relationships than other symbols.

3. Where are tensor symbols commonly used?

Tensor symbols are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe physical quantities, such as velocity, force, and stress, and their relationships and transformations in different systems and coordinate systems.

4. What do the subscripts and superscripts in a tensor symbol mean?

The subscripts and superscripts in a tensor symbol represent the indices of the tensor, which indicate the specific components or directions that the tensor is acting upon or being acted upon. They also determine how the tensor will transform under a change of coordinates.

5. How can I learn more about tensor symbols and their applications?

There are many resources available to learn more about tensor symbols and their applications, such as textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly linear algebra and calculus, to understand the concepts behind tensor symbols.