What does time mean at t=1/infinity?

• Thread starter KyleStreet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and its beginning, with the speaker struggling to understand if time requires a past and future for every moment, as well as trying to find a mathematical equation to describe this concept. The other speakers point out that the question is nonsensical and cannot be answered, and suggest looking into kinematics for a better understanding.
KyleStreet
I have a question, please correct me in detail if I'm wrong with my conclusion. I am no expert in physics. I do however, have a certain understanding of Trigonometry and some integrals and some derivatives Calculus 1.

If you start at t=0 (the origin of the Universe) and if that is considered to be the present, does that mean that the present (at that time) requires a past and future equally by 1 divided by infinity and/or above? This problem has made me scratch my head for a while. My conclusion was that time had to start at either t=1/infinity or undefined.

Any form of math besides physics to "fix up" my understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle Street

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question makes very little sense. What equation are you using to arrive at such a division? What is it that this equation is trying to calculate or describe? There are numerous common descriptions that do not "blow up" at t=0.

Are you familiar with simple kinematics?

Zz.

Okay, to clear things up I meant that for every present time that exists, there is a past and a future. So if you start at t=0, will there also be a past for t=0 if all other times have a past and future? Let's consider t approaching infinity.

Oh I forgot to mention that t=0 is before the Planck Time and that the past and future are equally spread out as a v-shape

KyleStreet said:
Oh I forgot to mention that t=0 is before the Planck Time and that the past and future are equally spread out as a v-shape

You're speaking nonsense.

I have to agree w/ JeffKoch ... it seems as though you are just stringing out words in a way that doesn't make sense.

It reminds me of lorentz transformation of time when time interval is 1 and spatial interval is zero which is the time dilation while traveling at speed of light.

It's probably a good idea to let the OP explain what he means rather than to guess.

That would be about correct - the bit starting with "all times have to have a past and a future" sounded promising but the following post muddied things completely.

There is an old philosophical argument you still see in creationist circles that time could not have had a beginning because every moment has a past ... or: for time to begin would need divine intervention. Similarly for time to end.

Still muddled thinking because you cannot have a "start" to time, because there would be no time for time to start in. But OP reminded me of this since his own statements suffer the same sorts of problems: how can time itself start at a particular time? This is what happens when you try to generalize common-sense(-ish) ideas to the Universe.

This is why space-time is so useful: it's all geometry.

1. What is the concept of time at t=1/infinity?

At t=1/infinity, the concept of time refers to an infinitely small moment in time, where time has essentially stopped and all events have ceased to exist. This is a theoretical concept that is often used in mathematics and physics to explain certain phenomena.

2. How does time behave at t=1/infinity?

At t=1/infinity, time behaves in a way that is different from our everyday experiences. As time approaches infinity, it becomes infinitely small and essentially disappears. This concept is often used in calculus to describe the behavior of functions as they approach certain limits.

3. Does time have meaning at t=1/infinity?

The concept of time at t=1/infinity is often used in theoretical and abstract contexts, and therefore its meaning may be different from our everyday understanding of time. While time may not have a tangible meaning at this infinitesimal moment, it is still a useful concept in certain mathematical and scientific contexts.

4. How is the concept of time at t=1/infinity relevant to the study of the universe?

In the study of the universe, the concept of time at t=1/infinity is often used in theories and models that attempt to explain the beginning and end of the universe. It is also used in concepts such as the Big Bang and the concept of a singularity, which are important in understanding the evolution of the universe.

5. Can time actually reach t=1/infinity?

In reality, time cannot actually reach t=1/infinity, as it is a theoretical concept used to describe a limit that can never be truly reached. However, the concept of time approaching t=1/infinity can be useful in certain mathematical and scientific contexts to understand the behavior of systems at this infinitesimal moment.