What is the meaning of a unique inverse for a bijective function?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, "unique" means there is only one of something, in this case, one inverse for the function. This is defined by the function's one-to-one correspondence and the fact that there is only one element that satisfies the function. The definite article "the" refers to this one and only element. So, when a function has an inverse, it is unique.
waht
What does "unique" mean?

I ran into a trivial exercise. If a function f is bijective, show that it has an inverse. That's easy. But then, the question goes: if f has an inverse, show that it is unique.

I'm not really sure what is meant by "unique." I would assume it is has to do with the function's one-to-one correspondence. That each element in the function is taken cared of (mapped) one at a time. Is this a good analogy? This is not homework by the way.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It means there is only one inverse. In other words if a function, f, has inverses g and h, then g=h, and there is really only one inverse.

And, of course, "g= h" mean g(x)= h(x) for every x in the range of f.

That makes sense, thanks.

waht said:
I ran into a trivial exercise. If a function f is bijective, show that it has an inverse. That's easy. But then, the question goes: if f has an inverse, show that it is unique.

I'm not really sure what is meant by "unique." I would assume it is has to do with the function's one-to-one correspondence. That each element in the function is taken cared of (mapped) one at a time. Is this a good analogy? This is not homework by the way.

x is unique means, there is one and only one thing that x is.

'The' in the particular, in the singular, is the meaning of 'unique'.

The definite article 'the' refers to that one and only x.

The x such that Fx, is that (unique) x which satisfies Fx.

That there is only one x which satisfies Fx is defined:
EyAx(x=y <-> Fx).

The unique x which is F has the property G, means, EyAx((x=y <-> Fx) & Gy).

Well, I'm glad we got that clarified!

What does unique mean?

Unique means one of a kind or being the only one of its kind.

What is an example of something that is unique?

An example of something that is unique is a fingerprint. Each person has their own unique set of fingerprints that cannot be duplicated.

How is unique different from rare?

Unique refers to something that is one of a kind, while rare refers to something that is uncommon or scarce.

Can something be both unique and common?

No, something cannot be both unique and common. Unique refers to something being the only one of its kind, while common means something is ordinary and can be found in large quantities.

Why is it important to value uniqueness?

Valuing uniqueness allows us to appreciate and celebrate the differences in people, ideas, and objects. It also encourages creativity and innovation, as unique perspectives can lead to new and original ideas.