What doyou think about Reactor's Rubbia?

• Thread starter Lo_sconosciuto
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a small accelerator of protons and a target of lead to produce neutrons which then go to thorium. The thorium then decays into other elements, but the specific elements are unknown. The conversation then mentions the "rubbiatron," which is a subcritical reactor designed for transmutation of nuclear waste. This method of proton driven thorium fission is considered to be a safe alternative to traditional nuclear reactions and has the potential to utilize old nuclear waste as a valuable resource. Additionally, there is a significant amount of thorium available on the planet, making it a promising alternative to uranium.
Lo_sconosciuto
It use small accelerator of protons and target of lead.
The lead give out neutrons, these neutrons go to thorio.
The thorio decay in other elements that now I don't know.
Does some body know this elements ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw.
Thanks

he refers to the "rubbiatron" or "rubiatron", a subcritical reactor oriented to transmutation of nuclear trash.

I think proton driven thorium fission is a really nice idea. No chance of meltdown since it isn't a runaway reaction (it needs to be driven by the proton beam) and waste products with much shorter half-lives.

I must admit to initially being put off by it being promoted by Carlo Rubbia, since he can be a bit odd, but I chatted with him about it in Stockholm not too long ago, and he convinced me that it is a nice idea.

Last edited:
I've always felt that our old nuclear waste would one day be considered valuable, and that trying to hide it underground for 100,000 years was unnecessary.

And the planet has 550 times as much thorium as uranium.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/348/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Reactor's Rubbia?

Reactor's Rubbia, also known as the Rubbia reactor, is a type of nuclear reactor developed by Italian physicist and Nobel laureate Carlo Rubbia. It is a type of liquid metal cooled fast neutron reactor that uses lead or lead-bismuth as its coolant.

2. How does Reactor's Rubbia work?

Reactor's Rubbia uses a process called nuclear fission to generate heat. This heat is then used to produce steam, which can be used to power turbines and generate electricity. The reactor uses fast neutrons to sustain the nuclear chain reaction, and the lead or lead-bismuth coolant helps to absorb the heat produced.

3. What are the advantages of Reactor's Rubbia?

One of the main advantages of Reactor's Rubbia is its ability to use nuclear waste as fuel. This helps to reduce the amount of radioactive waste produced by traditional nuclear reactors. It is also more efficient at producing electricity compared to other types of reactors, and can operate at higher temperatures, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

4. What are the potential risks of Reactor's Rubbia?

Like any nuclear reactor, Reactor's Rubbia carries certain risks, such as the potential for accidents or leaks that could release radioactive materials into the environment. There is also the issue of long-term storage and disposal of nuclear waste produced by the reactor. However, these risks can be mitigated through proper safety measures and regulations.

5. How does Reactor's Rubbia compare to other types of nuclear reactors?

Compared to traditional light water reactors, Reactor's Rubbia has several advantages, including a more efficient use of fuel, the ability to use nuclear waste as fuel, and a smaller overall footprint. However, it also has some unique challenges, such as the need for a specialized coolant and the potential for higher costs. Ultimately, the best type of nuclear reactor will depend on the specific needs and resources of a particular location.