What Drives Your Coffee Preferences?

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, consumer Reports magazine found that McDonalds' java was better than Starbucks'. They also mentioned that it may just be a coincidence that McDees announced they were starting to sell high quality coffee, since the coffee market is competitive.
ok here is the royal kona website offering 100% kona peaberry at only 13.95 for seven ounces which people on this site can chnge to poundage at about $32/lb i guess.

http://store.hawaiicoffeeco.com/Royal_Kona_Coffee_100_Kona_Peaberry_RK078114.aspx here it is for $27.50/lb, b

http://www.koacoffee.com/peaberry-dark.html but still that is triple what i have been paying for years for excellent dark roast coffee with less cachet. i think its a ripoff unless you are rich and addicted to it. for $45 i have been getting 5 lbs of good beans and a free cup of coffee. and that's less per lb than instant poison.

wrt price on the other hand, i know lots of peiople who claim that $40-$50 a bottle is too much to spend for wine, but they always drink it when offered. so ill just have to come to ivans house for kona and sumatra i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had assumed that this is just a supply and demand diddy. After all, the Kona coast is not that big. In fact, I am wondering if the price might have jumped due to internet sales. Not that long ago Kona coffee was virtually exclusive to the islands.

I don't know if we have tried the Kona peaberry but will watch for it in the future.

Only a very limited range of cofee varieties is available at the local market here.
Of all I have tried so far, my personal favourite, which happens to be the most popular as well is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_filter_coffee" .
The rich aroma, strong flavour and the distinct sweet taste are trademarks of India's favourite coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
peaberry apparently means that only one pea instead of two, of coffee, is in the pod, which occurs only for 5% of the crop, so this stuff is much higher than standard kona, and supposedly more intense.

We have been drinking the half-caff from Trader Joes, but if I had my way we'd drink Starbucks morning blend all the time.

Twisting_Edge told me about this coffee a few months ago, turns out to be tru. Sorry for the wiki article, but it was the most to the point.

"Kopi Luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world, selling for up to $600 USD per pound, and is sold mainly in Japan and United States, but it is increasingly becoming available elsewhere, though supplies are limited. [1]"

"Kopi Luwak or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee cherries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). The animals gorge on the ripe berries, and excrete partially-digested beans in their feces, which are then harvested for sale. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Kape Alamid), in the country of Vietnam, and the coffee estates of south India."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Again and again one has to ask: Who first tried this, and why?

well i have had people to whom i bragged about my expresso roast claim it smells like dog poop, and there may indeed a certain resemblance even with the best of coffees. so perhaps this civet processed stuff is carrying that idea to its most absurd extreme.

$600 USD per pound,
I didn't realize civet poop was so expensive. :smile: :smile: :smile:

thats the asking price on ebay.

Ivan Seeking said:

haha, yes indeed it does beg the question :smile:

evo, you started this. rescue us!

I just ordered some peets house blend mathwonk. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:

I'm thinking it was someone REALLY desperate for a cup of coffee. :smile:

Moonbear said:
I'm thinking it was someone REALLY desperate for a cup of coffee. :smile:

Yeah, I've probably been there. :biggrin:

That's funny, Jim never asks for a second cup of my civet poop.

For me, Blue Bean Coffee from Jamacia is the best. Grind it coarse and put it in a French Press and you have amazing coffee!

That is a good question. Two questions actually: Who came up with the idea, and who would be industrious enough to go crawling around on the jungle floor collecting civet poop just to get enough beans to make a cup of coffee?

Turkish coffee with a cardamom pod... mmmmmm :biggrin: It's like eating pure chocolate.

I mentioned the coffees I drink on a daily basis.

Once in while, when I'm out, I'll get an Irish coffee - but it's got to be the right Whisky - single or blend - and not Bourbon.

Caife Gaelach - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_coffee :-p

Astronuc said:
I mentioned the coffees I drink on a daily basis.

Once in while, when I'm out, I'll get an Irish coffee - but it's got to be the right Whisky - single or blend - and not Bourbon.

Caife Gaelach - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_coffee :-p
Irish Whiskey? Buerk...

loseyourname said:
Some coffee stands get steamier

I found this little gem in the course of some research. Here's "the free market doing its job," Ivan.

Oh man, and I was just up there! I guess I'll need to find more work in Seattle. :biggrin:

Monique said:
Turkish coffee with a cardamom pod... mmmmmm :biggrin: It's like eating pure chocolate.
Ahh.. Yes very nice... (But its really greek coffee :wink: )

I drank a good bit of Iranian coffee while in college, but my buddy from Iran kept me supplied so I don't know what name it might have in the stores. Sold as a fine powder, it was made the old fashioned way - mix the coffee with the water, bring to a boil, and carefully pour the coffee out while avoiding the grounds. That stuff was great for all-nighters.

Ivan Seeking said:
I drank a good bit of Iranian coffee while in college, but my buddy from Iran kept me supplied so I don't know what name it might have in the stores. Sold as a fine powder, it was made the old fashioned way - mix the coffee with the water, bring to a boil, and carefully pour the coffee out while avoiding the grounds. That stuff was great for all-nighters.

yeah this sounds like Greek Coffee.. Too Strong for a lot of people..

How I make it is:

Put Coffee and water into *briki* then bring to boil two three or four times, then pour into Cup, add sugar to taste before you boil, and then drink and tell your future after..

Anttech said:
and then drink and tell your future after..

YEP! Turn the cup over and read the trails made by the sludge. :smile:

hope you enjoy the peets, i think it really is good.

Ivan Seeking said:
Sounds like my dad's "camping coffee". He'd get a dark-roast coffee at the A&P, and run it through the store's grinder for a really fine grind. In the morning, before heading out to fish, we'd throw a good-sized handful of that grind into a pot of water and set it on the campfire until it got to a real frothy boil, then set the pot on a rock at the edge of the campfire to steep while fixing eggs, bacon etc. Instead of simply decanting the coffee to avoid grounds, we would strain it through a bandanna suspended over a cup.

Anttech said:
Ahh.. Yes very nice... (But its really greek coffee :wink: )

If the coffee comes from Turkey, is it still Greek coffee? :biggrin:

fair trade!

Fair trade! Of course it's a little more expensive...

What am i talking about, i don't even like coffee! But my sister (despite what she says) is addicted :)