What electronics references do you use?

In summary, the speaker is looking to improve their understanding of electronics as a hobbyist and is seeking recommendations for books and other resources. They mention the book "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill as a highly recommended option. Additionally, they mention the importance of combining books with experimentation for a more comprehensive understanding.
sankul
I'm about to go to uni and want to develop a more professional understanding of electronics as I'm a hobbyist at the moment.

Obviously there is a lot of information online, but it always seems rather incomplete.

There also seem to be a lot of books around, but there is always the problem of choice. The book that I have read a lot of good reviews about is "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

Now to my question, what books and other references do you use and what are the essentials that everybody should have read to gain a more in depth understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Books are good, but books along with experimentation produces a result that is greater than the sum of the parts.

Likes sankul

What electronics references do you use?

As a scientist, I use a variety of electronics references in my work. Some of the most frequently used ones include:

1. What is the National Electrical Code (NEC)?

The NEC is a set of standards and guidelines for electrical installations in the United States. It is published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and is updated every three years. The code covers topics such as wiring, grounding, and electrical safety.

2. What is the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)?

The IEC is an international standards organization that develops and publishes standards for electronic and electrical technologies. These standards cover a wide range of topics, including safety, performance, and compatibility.

3. What is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)?

The IEEE is a professional organization for engineers and scientists working in the fields of electronics, electrical engineering, and computer science. It publishes a variety of journals, conference proceedings, and standards related to these fields.

4. What is the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)?

The ANSI is a private, non-profit organization that oversees the development of voluntary consensus standards for a wide range of industries, including electronics and electrical engineering. These standards are developed through a collaborative process involving industry experts and stakeholders.

5. What is the Electronics Industry Association (EIA)?

The EIA is a trade association that represents companies in the electronics industry. It provides market data, industry standards, and other resources for its members. The EIA has merged with the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) to form the Electronic Components Industry Association (ECIA).