1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What engineering minor would complement a physics major?

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    I was thinking about majoring in physics with a minor in an engineering like chemical. electrical,or materials science. I want to ultimately have a PhD in physics and an engineering.
    Do you think this is advisable? Or should i major in an engineering with physics minor?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    You can't get a PhD in "physics and engineering." In some sense, you don't even get a Ph.D in "physics." You get your Ph.D in some subfield of physics, really.

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3
    That really depends on what you want to do with yourself after you finish school. Is your interest in physics a pure interest in the science itself, or in its application? If the answer is the former, then get a degree in physics. If it's the latter, get an engineering degree and back that up with physics. Have you considered a math or CS minor instead of engineering? If you want to pursue engineering, your focus really should be in the application and back that up with the physics - that's a strong degree. But if your interest is in the science, I would recommend looking around at other options than minoring in an engineering discipline. Remember: engineers aren't scientists - they're engineers.

On another note, physicists are very valuable in all industries, so don't count out minoring in something like business.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    To change the tone from other posts, what engineering field are you interested in?

I have meet people that are doing minors in Nuclear, Mechanical, Electrical, and a few others. It really depends on what you like.

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5
    I really like theoretical physics, but I wouldn't be happy just working on the theories and not getting my hands dirty physically applying the knowledge. That's why I thought an engineering minor would help.

But now that I think about it, I might actually prefer the application of physics as opposed to the "big ideas" of theoretical physics...so I'll probably get some field of Eng major and physics minor.

How practical/useful is a physics minor to an engineering major?

Which engineering field uses the most physics application? I know all of them do, but which one has the most? How does electrical Eng compare? Is it more computer related?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  7. Jun 18, 2011 #6
    A physics degree and an engineering degree have a very similar beginning. My suggestion is to just pick one, and take some of the intro-level classes for each, and decide which you like from there. There's no rush.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook