What engineering minor would complement a physics major?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of majoring in physics with a minor in an engineering discipline, such as chemical, electrical, or materials science, and ultimately pursuing a PhD in physics and an engineering. The advice given was to consider one's interests and goals before deciding on a specific major and minor. The practicality and usefulness of a physics minor for an engineering major was also discussed, along with the application of physics in different engineering fields. It was suggested to take introductory classes in both subjects before making a decision.
BCDLM
I was thinking about majoring in physics with a minor in an engineering like chemical. electrical,or materials science. I want to ultimately have a PhD in physics and an engineering.
Do you think this is advisable? Or should i major in an engineering with physics minor?

Physics news on Phys.org
BCDLM said:
I was thinking about majoring in physics with a minor in an engineering like chemical. electrical,or materials science. I want to ultimately have a PhD in physics and an engineering.
Do you think this is advisable? Or should i major in an engineering with physics minor?

You can't get a PhD in "physics and engineering." In some sense, you don't even get a Ph.D in "physics." You get your Ph.D in some subfield of physics, really.

That really depends on what you want to do with yourself after you finish school. Is your interest in physics a pure interest in the science itself, or in its application? If the answer is the former, then get a degree in physics. If it's the latter, get an engineering degree and back that up with physics. Have you considered a math or CS minor instead of engineering? If you want to pursue engineering, your focus really should be in the application and back that up with the physics - that's a strong degree. But if your interest is in the science, I would recommend looking around at other options than minoring in an engineering discipline. Remember: engineers aren't scientists - they're engineers.

On another note, physicists are very valuable in all industries, so don't count out minoring in something like business.

Last edited:
To change the tone from other posts, what engineering field are you interested in?

I have meet people that are doing minors in Nuclear, Mechanical, Electrical, and a few others. It really depends on what you like.

I really like theoretical physics, but I wouldn't be happy just working on the theories and not getting my hands dirty physically applying the knowledge. That's why I thought an engineering minor would help.

But now that I think about it, I might actually prefer the application of physics as opposed to the "big ideas" of theoretical physics...so I'll probably get some field of Eng major and physics minor.

How practical/useful is a physics minor to an engineering major?

Which engineering field uses the most physics application? I know all of them do, but which one has the most? How does electrical Eng compare? Is it more computer related?

Last edited:
BCDLM said:
I really like theoretical physics, but I wouldn't be happy just working on the theories and not getting my hands dirty physically applying the knowledge. That's why I thought an engineering minor would help.

But now that I think about it, I might actually prefer the application of physics as opposed to the "big ideas" of theoretical physics...so I'll probably get some field of Eng major and physics minor.

How practical/useful is a physics minor to an engineering major?

Which engineering field uses the most physics application? I know all of them do, but which one has the most? How does electrical Eng compare? Is it more computer related?

A physics degree and an engineering degree have a very similar beginning. My suggestion is to just pick one, and take some of the intro-level classes for each, and decide which you like from there. There's no rush.

1. What is an engineering minor?

An engineering minor is a set of courses that focus on a specific area of engineering, such as electrical, mechanical, or civil engineering. It typically consists of 4-5 courses that complement a major in a related field, such as physics.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an engineering minor as a physics major?

Pursuing an engineering minor as a physics major can provide a more well-rounded education and make you more competitive in the job market. It can also help you gain a deeper understanding of how physics principles can be applied in real-world engineering problems.

3. Which engineering minor would complement a physics major the best?

The best engineering minor for a physics major depends on your personal interests and career goals. However, some popular options include electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and materials science and engineering.

4. Will pursuing an engineering minor as a physics major require a significant time commitment?

The time commitment for an engineering minor will vary depending on the specific courses you choose and your own study habits. However, many universities offer flexible scheduling options and online courses that can make it easier to balance a minor with your major coursework.

5. Can I switch my engineering minor to a major later on?

It is possible to switch your engineering minor to a major, but it will depend on the specific requirements and policies of your university. It's important to consult with your academic advisor and plan your courses accordingly if you are considering this option.