What equation is this defined as?

• Thread starter elephunk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving \gamma=\psi_1-\psi_2 and the question whether it is a stress/strain or elastic modulus equation. The equation is not a stress-strain relation as there is no constant of proportionality. Gamma is commonly used to denote shear strain. The individual asking the question expresses unfamiliarity with the equation and plans to read more about shear strain.
elephunk
Is this a stress/strain, or elastic modulus equation? or have I got my understanding wrong?
The question asks where does this come from? I've never seen it before maybe someone can expand for me please?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/pastilles/equation.jpg [Broken]

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to [itex]\gamma=\psi_1-\psi_2[/itex]? It's not a stress-strain relation because there's no constant of proportionality that would correspond to an elastic modulus.

Gamma is often used to denote shear strain, though.

Thank you,

I haven't run across this before. I will read some more on shear strain in some textbooks.
Once again thank you :)

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It consists of variables, numbers, and mathematical operations, and is often used to solve problems or make predictions.

2. How is an equation defined?

An equation is defined as a mathematical sentence that contains an equal sign (=) which separates the expression on the left side from the expression on the right side. This equal sign indicates that the expressions are equivalent and have the same value.

3. What is the purpose of an equation?

The purpose of an equation is to represent a relationship between different variables and to provide a way to solve problems or make predictions based on this relationship. Equations are used in many fields, including science, engineering, and economics, to understand and describe different phenomena.

4. Can all equations be solved?

No, not all equations can be solved. Some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions, while others may be unsolvable due to their structure or the given constraints. In some cases, an equation may have an infinite number of solutions or no solutions at all.

5. What are some common types of equations?

There are several common types of equations, including linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and trigonometric equations. Each type has its own unique form and methods for solving, but they all serve the same purpose of representing relationships between variables.