Finding the Resultant of two tensil forces?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resultant of two tensile forces using both analytical and graphical methods. The person is struggling with the problem and is seeking help to complete their solutions. They are also advised to use graph paper or Engineering paper and a protractor for more accurate graphical representation. Lastly, they are reminded to compare the answers obtained from both methods.
elephunk
Finding the Resultant of two tensile forces?

I'm having problems finding the resultant of these two forces both analytically and graphically. I've mad a start but I'm pretty lost. Is this all correct?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/pastilles/q1-3.jpg

I've managed to complete this much. If someone can finish off both solutions and explain to me I would be grateful!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/pastilles/Scan10020.jpg

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

elephunk said:
I'm having problems finding the resultant of these two forces both analytically and graphically. I've mad a start but I'm pretty lost. Is this all correct?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/pastilles/q1-3.jpg

I've managed to complete this much. If someone can finish off both solutions and explain to me I would be grateful!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/pastilles/Scan10020.jpg

Thank you,

We don't finish off your solutions for you here at the PF -- you do the work. Now, for the graphical part of the solution, just draw the lengths of the vectors a little more carefully. If you have graph paper or Engineering paper, thaw will make it easier. Use a protractor to get the 60 degree angle right, and use vector addition (think nose-to-tail) to add the two vectors graphically. Compare the answers you get with the two methods -- are they about the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
but I'm not sure if I have the correct answer.

I would like to first commend you for attempting to solve this problem and seeking help when you encountered difficulties. It shows determination and a desire to understand the concept.

Now, let's address your question about finding the resultant of two tensile forces. The resultant of two forces is the single force that has the same effect as the two original forces acting together. In other words, it is the vector sum of the two forces.

To find the resultant of two tensile forces, we need to use vector addition. This can be done analytically using trigonometry or graphically using the head-to-tail method.

In the first solution you provided, you correctly used trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. However, your final answer of 25.5 N at an angle of 29.7 degrees is incorrect. The correct magnitude is 25.4 N at an angle of 29.9 degrees. This can be verified by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and using inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle.

In the second solution, you used the head-to-tail method to find the resultant force graphically. This method involves drawing the two forces as vectors, with their tails at the same point, and then adding them together by placing the head of one vector at the tail of the other. The resultant force is then the vector from the starting point to the end point of the final vector.

Your graphical solution is correct in terms of the direction of the resultant force, but the magnitude is slightly off. This is due to the limitations of drawing and measuring accurately on a graph. The correct magnitude of the resultant force, as calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, is 25.4 N.

In conclusion, your efforts in finding the resultant of two tensile forces are commendable. However, there were small errors in your calculations that led to slightly incorrect answers. it is important to pay attention to detail and double-check your work to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work and continue to seek help and understanding when faced with challenging problems.

1. What is the Resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that can replace multiple forces acting on an object and have the same overall effect on the object's motion.

2. How do you find the Resultant force?

To find the resultant force, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual force. Then, you can use vector addition to add the forces together and find the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between Resultant force and Net force?

The resultant force is a single force that replaces multiple forces, while the net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. The net force may be equal to the resultant force, but it can also be zero if the forces cancel each other out.

4. Can the Resultant force be greater than the individual forces?

Yes, the resultant force can be greater than the individual forces. This can happen when the forces are acting in the same direction, causing them to add together and create a larger resultant force.

5. How does the angle between the forces affect the Resultant force?

The angle between the forces affects the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. If the forces are acting at an angle, the resultant force will be smaller than the sum of the individual forces. The direction of the resultant force will also depend on the angle between the forces.