What Do You Need to Know?

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
In summary, the skills every man should know are: 1. Patch a radiator hose2. Protect your computer3. Rescue a boater who has capsized4. Frame a wall5. Retouch digital photos6. Back up a trailer7. Build a campfire8. Fix a dead outlet9. Navigate with a map and compass10. Use a torque wrench11. Sharpen a knife12. Perform CPR13. Fillet a fish14. Maneuver a car out of a skid15. Get a car unstuck16. Back up data17. Paint a room18. Mix concrete19. Clean a

How many do you know?

• none

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3

• 4-6

• 7-9

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 10-12

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 13-16

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 17-19

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 20-22

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 23-24

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • All 25

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Evo said:
Thanks to watching Survivorman on tv, I can now make a knife and spear point out of a harmonica. :approve:

I can make a harmonica out of a knife or spear point.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I can make a harmonica out of a knife or spear point.

I can spear a harmonica player.

I can make a spear point or a knife out of a piece of obsidian or flint. I doubt that I could make a harmonica out of obsidian or flint, though my knapping flakes would make wonderful scalpel blades.

Evo said:
How about things like fixing a leaky toilet, stop faucet drips, patching drywall, replacing tile, buidling a fence, replacing a sump pump, replacing blown car engine fuses, replacing car and riding mower batteries, just beware of melting metal. :uhh:
All good things to know. Every time I need to pay somebody to do something that I should be able to do, I try to learn to do it myself. 30 years ago, I took my Honda CL450 to the dealer for a tune up and they screwed it up so badly, that I could hardly get the bike home. I hired the brother of a close friend to do the tune-up and he let me watch and explained what he was doing. When I got back home, I got out my tools and re-did the whole procedure. I tuned up my bike and my neighbor's bike (same model) over and over again until I could do a tune-up in 20 minutes, including checking/cleaning filters, synchronizing carbs, setting valve-cam follower clearances, setting timing chain tension, and static-timing the bike. That includes all prep and clean-up including the removal and replacement of exhaust, access covers, etc. Not everybody wants to be this anal about "doing it yourself", but I am. I took a heavily-laden, blinged-out, rich-running backfiring '85 wide glide, stripped off at least 75# of ugly accessories, and turned it into this. Well-tuned S&S racing carb with a Yost Power Tube pre-atomizer, anti-reversion exhaust, adjustable push-rods, not-too-radical cams, high-flow petcock and fuel filter... I was a friend of the previous owner, and when his buddies from Mass came up to ride with us, they were drooling over the bike and dissin' Rick for selling it. Performance-wise it was a pig when I bought it. After, it would run away from any Harley our riding buddies owned.

wideglide.jpg

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I can spear a harmonica player.

I can knock a spear carrying gray space alien off a camel at 20 yards with a well aimed harmonica.

I can play a Sonny Boy Williamson song on harmonica. So sad that the spear-carrying alien will cry and ruin his vision. Then I will hit him with a 2x4.

Last edited:
I just had to do 21 "Hook up an HDTV" last week.
The hard part was teaching my 80+ year old parents how to use it.

So far I havn't had to do 12 in real life.

Frankly, I think make beer should be in that list somewhere :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
Are these lists of what a man specifically should be able to do, or lists of what a person should be able to do? The list seems pretty biased towards physical labour.

It's a pertinent question. It shows that lists like this one are a bit like Cosmo quizzes: not to be taken seriously. I personally find that every woman should know how to use the lawnmower and every man should know how to use the washer/dryer. Neither of these is rocket science or physically demanding and almost every house needs both. Add to these abilities the willingness to use them. :smile:

out of whack said:
It's a pertinent question. It shows that lists like this one are a bit like Cosmo quizzes: not to be taken seriously. I personally find that every woman should know how to use the lawnmower and every man should know how to use the washer/dryer. Neither of these is rocket science or physically demanding and almost every house needs both. Add to these abilities the willingness to use them. :smile:

Very true! I was completely shocked when I started college when I discovered that there were students who had no idea how to do laundry. How do you get to college age without ever having done laundry...or at least knowing how to do it? Toss clothes in washer, add detergent, turn washer on. When in doubt, use warm water.

Moonbear said:
When in doubt, use warm water.
Or read the little label?
Since they seem compelled to use weird hieroglyphs nowadays, I guess reading has become a lost art

NoTime said:
Or read the little label?
Since they seem compelled to use weird hieroglyphs nowadays, I guess reading has become a lost art

I can't figure out what half those hieroglyphics mean! What the heck does a triangle with an X in it have to do with laundry? (Labels only work if you haven't cut them out...some clothes have labels that seem stiffer than usual, and scratch, so I cut them out.)

:cry: My edit didn't stick (the forum hung up and I didn't copy the text before I lost it). I had my own opinion on a list of essentials. Let's see if I can recreate it.

Know how to do the laundry.
Know how to iron a shirt.
Know how to sew on a button.
Know how to cook a nutritious meal (and know what a nutritious meal is).
Know how to clean your dishes and kitchen counters to avoid bacterial contamination.
Know how to do basic housecleaning, like vacuuming, mopping floors, scrubbing toilets, cleaning the tub/shower, and recognize when it's time to do it.
Know how to operate a lawnmower.
Know how to winterize the lawnmower (applicable only if you live in a climate with winters).
Know where your water shut-off valve is, and how to use it.
Know how to jump start a car.
Know how to change a tire.
Know basic first aid (not just CPR, but when to apply pressure to a wound, ways to immobilize a fractured limb...basically what to do until the ambulance arrives).
Know how to recognize the symptoms of major, life-threatening conditions, such as stroke and heart attack, and know not to wait to call for emergency assistance when you see these symptoms.

I think there was something else in my list, but I can't remember it now. Basically, these are the sort of life skills that everyone needs to know to live independently, and while you can call for someone else to provide professional assistance on many things, these are the things that will get you by until you can arrange for help, or will buy time or minimize damage while waiting for that help to arrive in an emergency.

I like your list better.
The winterizing your lawnmower really applies to any extended period of non use.
You need to summerize your snowblower as well :smile:

I did look up the laundry symbols one time.
They didn't make any more sense with the explanation.
Negative net benefit if you ask me.
Grumble, I had a girlfriend leave because I could do laundry better than she could :rolleyes:

Unlike CPR I have had to deal with stroke in real life.

PS:What happened to the icon list?

Moonbear said:
I can't figure out what half those hieroglyphics mean! What the heck does a triangle with an X in it have to do with laundry? (Labels only work if you haven't cut them out...some clothes have labels that seem stiffer than usual, and scratch, so I cut them out.)

:cry: My edit didn't stick (the forum hung up and I didn't copy the text before I lost it). I had my own opinion on a list of essentials. Let's see if I can recreate it.

Know how to do the laundry.
Know how to iron a shirt.
Know how to sew on a button.
Know how to cook a nutritious meal (and know what a nutritious meal is).
Know how to clean your dishes and kitchen counters to avoid bacterial contamination.
Know how to do basic housecleaning, like vacuuming, mopping floors, scrubbing toilets, cleaning the tub/shower, and recognize when it's time to do it.
Know how to operate a lawnmower.
Know how to winterize the lawnmower (applicable only if you live in a climate with winters).
Know where your water shut-off valve is, and how to use it.
Know how to jump start a car.
Know how to change a tire.
Know basic first aid (not just CPR, but when to apply pressure to a wound, ways to immobilize a fractured limb...basically what to do until the ambulance arrives).
Know how to recognize the symptoms of major, life-threatening conditions, such as stroke and heart attack, and know not to wait to call for emergency assistance when you see these symptoms.

I think there was something else in my list, but I can't remember it now. Basically, these are the sort of life skills that everyone needs to know to live independently, and while you can call for someone else to provide professional assistance on many things, these are the things that will get you by until you can arrange for help, or will buy time or minimize damage while waiting for that help to arrive in an emergency.

I can fold a shirt. If it comes out of the drawer folded, it must be clean, right?

For those needing more detailed instructions: How to fold a T-shirt

In fact, the second site, Video Jug, provides instructions for other, more advanced tasks as well:

How to hit 400 career home runs (You need the video on how to use steroids if you want to hit 500+ home runs)
How to marry Prince William (and how to create an heir and a spare)
How to look good in the buff (surprisingly, this doesn't help in marrying Prince William)
and, of course:
How to be a tool at college

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I had to not only immobilize fractured limbs (usually legs), strap the patient into a rescue toboggan, and ski them down to the base lodge for transfer to an ambulance. It's interesting that women would often resist, and would rather risk compounding their injuries by trying to get to their feet, claiming they'd be OK, while the guys generally shut up (apart from expletives about the pain) and did as they were told. Ski patrol was a good job, with lots of responsibility for a high-school kid.

Moonbear said:
I cut labels out of shirts, too, but since I own practically nothing except cotton T-shirts, jeans, sweats, flannel shirts and fleece pullovers, my laundry is simple. Here is the laundry code for people with more "exotic" clothing.

http://www.fabriclink.com/Care/Caresymbols.cfm

Back