Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What foods won't you eat?

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I will not eat white hominy corn, it smells like dirty sneakers. Hominy grits, on the other hand, are heavenly.

I won't eat green lima beans, they taste and smell like wet cardborad, but white lima beans taste like butter.

I can't eat mangos. If you have ever gotten perfume in your mouth, that is exactly what it tastes like to me.

I've heard of people that say cilantro tastes like soap. I like cilantro.

Other people can't eat shrimp or lobster because the feeling in their mouth upsets them.

Which food will you not eat and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2
    I won't eat primates and cetaceans (for obvious reasons). But I'm not sure if they'd be defined as food in the first place. Other than that, I guess I'll eat anthing that is considered "food." I've never eaten any food in my life that I would not eat again.

4. Mar 11, 2008 #3

Evo

Have you ever eaten white hominy corn or green lima beans?

5. Mar 11, 2008 #4
    Good god! Aren't we a picky eater! :)

There are starving children starving in Africa, dun'cha kno' ?!?

6. Mar 11, 2008 #5
    I cannot eat when all my food it touching, it has to be separate with spacing between different foods on my plate.

I cannot drink milk from two different cartons, like finish one of and then start another one in the same glass.

I won't eat anything with Kaffir lime or Soy Sauce in it as to me both taste fowl!

I'm not really fussy as that is about it really, the whole plate thing may seem a bit silly but I don't like it when it touches, I can mix afterwards but I don't like weird combinations.

7. Mar 11, 2008 #6
    Well, I've never heard the world "hominy" in my life before, so I can honestly say no to the first one. Green lima beans.. on the other hand... not the tastiest food I admit, but I wouldn't NOT eat it if it was sitting on my plate.

8. Mar 11, 2008 #7
    Why is not eating certain food in any way related to starving children? Surely it means that there is less waste?

9. Mar 11, 2008 #8
    Wow! Why are you so picky? It all ends up touching each other anyway.

10. Mar 11, 2008 #9

~christina~

Gold Member

I don't eat:
    cucumber or zucchini=> has a green taste to me

durian=> never tried it but it smells like :yuck:

sweet potato=> why eat this odd thing when you can eat normal potatos and sour cream :confused:

and I end up liking weird stuff that alot of people don't like such as:

caviar: :approve: yum..

11. Mar 11, 2008 #10
    There used to be a time when I would not eat mushrooms, I mean who wants to eat a fungus? Now I'll eat them on pizza at least. I still would rather not eat olives. They sort of remind me of really awful pickles. But again, on pizza it is acceptable. By themselves? No way!

After watching a few episodes of Andrew Zimmern I don't think theres much I wouldn't try. That said, I think I'd stay away from insects :)

12. Mar 11, 2008 #11
    Dunno! I like it a certain way, and it isn't any extra work for anyone but myself!

13. Mar 11, 2008 #12

~christina~

Gold Member

You must be refering to the salty soy sauce that comes in the bottle..I agree with you if your talking about that :yuck: However, the good soy sauce is the type that is taken from the bottle and combined with sugar and spices that makes it quite tasty :tongue2:
    Now that's REAL soy sauce, not that darn salty stuff that comes straight out of the bottle.

14. Mar 11, 2008 #13
    OK, I admit it, I just wanted to say dun'cha kno' !!! There, happy? :)

15. Mar 11, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I cannot eat processed foods. Sorry. The very concept of canned soups, hamburger helper, Twinkies, etc is so foreign to the way I was raised. I have severe reactions to MSG and all of its aliases so I can't eat any of that crap anyway, but I have never been drawn to that food anyway. My mother and my grandmother taught me how to cook real food, and I have done so all my life (even as a college student).

As for individual (healthy) foods, I dislike bland crap like eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, etc. I will cheerfully throw together tomatoes, chilies, meats, garlic, cheeses, etc, and other zesty stuff to make great meals, but I can't tolerate "blah".

16. Mar 11, 2008 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I won't eat anything that some idiot says is supposed to be good for me.
    Give me a chainsaw and a cow; fire is optional. I'll eat potatoes because I have enough Irish blood that they're honourary meat.

17. Mar 11, 2008 #16

Evo

I *LOVE* Andrew Zimmern!!!! He has a new show on tonight about Iceland, I can't wait!

I am dying for a "bake and shark" after watching that Trinidad episode. He said it was one of his favorite top 10 foods of all times, ever, seriously, ever. You know it had to be good.

18. Mar 11, 2008 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seafood.

Food thats smaller than its supposed to be.

Yoghurt with fruit in it (has an awful texture).

Mushrooms.

Anything with gravy on or excess sauce.

Sausages.

Frozen pizza.

I used to be worse and wouldn't eat pasta, rice, salads or mince, but I can now. :smile:

19. Mar 11, 2008 #18
    Am I the only one in this entire thread that isn't a picky eater?

20. Mar 11, 2008 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Perhaps that's the origin of your name? :tongue:

21. Mar 11, 2008 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

- Brussels sprouts (though I think that likely goes without saying)
    - sweet & sour coconut soup
    - anything served in a stainless steel dish with stainless steel utensils - such as Swiss Chalet ice cream (eeeeee - it curls my toes just thinking about contact between the two)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?