1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What graduate school opportunities will I have?

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Dear Physics Forums,
    I am a sophomore at Auburn University. I am doing a dual degree in both Wireless Software Engineering and Physics. (The Curriculum for each is found below). I am currently looking into what graduate school programs I would be qualified for. Other than physics and software engineering, by looking at my curriculum, what could I apply for?
    Thanks,
    AUPhysEng

Wireless Software
    http://www.eng.auburn.edu/files/acad_depts/csse/wirs-curriculum.pdf

Physics
    http://www.auburn.edu/academic/cosa...gistration-and-planning/documents/11 PHYS.pdf

Note: for the "Physics Electives" I currently plan on taking Optics, Plasma Physics, and Solid State Physics courses.

I have room to take about 12 hours of "extra" courses. If i took them all in math I could receive a math minor.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2
    I just mean what kinds of graduate school programs can I apply for based upon my curriculum. Could I apply for a masters/PhD program in computer engineering? software engineering? computer science? ect. What additional courses should I take in order to make my self competitive in non-physics graduate programs.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    I think that if you made your 12 hours of extra courses (I'm guessing courses are usually 3 hours) something like a sequence of Algebra and a sequence of Analysis, then you could probably get into grad school for math. You would have the calc/ode sequence as well as some mathy cs classes from the wireless software.

But, you might have to do a masters before the Ph.D. this way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook