What graduate school opportunities will I have?

In summary, a sophomore at Auburn University is pursuing a dual degree in Wireless Software Engineering and Physics. They are looking into potential graduate school programs and are wondering what options are available based on their curriculum. They have room for 12 hours of additional courses and are considering a math minor. The suggestion is made to take a sequence of Algebra and Analysis courses, which could make them competitive for graduate programs in math. However, they may need to complete a master's degree before pursuing a Ph.D.
AUPhysEng
Dear Physics Forums,
I am a sophomore at Auburn University. I am doing a dual degree in both Wireless Software Engineering and Physics. (The Curriculum for each is found below). I am currently looking into what graduate school programs I would be qualified for. Other than physics and software engineering, by looking at my curriculum, what could I apply for?
Thanks,
AUPhysEng

Wireless Software
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/files/acad_depts/csse/wirs-curriculum.pdf

Physics
http://www.auburn.edu/academic/cosa...gistration-and-planning/documents/11 PHYS.pdf

Note: for the "Physics Electives" I currently plan on taking Optics, Plasma Physics, and Solid State Physics courses.

I have room to take about 12 hours of "extra" courses. If i took them all in math I could receive a math minor.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just mean what kinds of graduate school programs can I apply for based upon my curriculum. Could I apply for a masters/PhD program in computer engineering? software engineering? computer science? ect. What additional courses should I take in order to make my self competitive in non-physics graduate programs.

I think that if you made your 12 hours of extra courses (I'm guessing courses are usually 3 hours) something like a sequence of Algebra and a sequence of Analysis, then you could probably get into grad school for math. You would have the calc/ode sequence as well as some mathy cs classes from the wireless software. But, you might have to do a masters before the Ph.D. this way.

1. What types of graduate programs are available?

There are a variety of graduate programs available in different fields such as science, engineering, business, and humanities. These programs can include Master's degrees, PhDs, and professional degrees such as MD or JD.

2. How do I determine which graduate program is right for me?

It's important to consider your interests, career goals, and academic background when choosing a graduate program. You can also research the program's curriculum, faculty, and alumni to see if it aligns with your goals.

3. What are the admission requirements for graduate school?

Admission requirements vary depending on the program and institution, but typically include a bachelor's degree, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT), and a personal statement. Some programs may also require relevant work experience.

4. How do I finance my graduate education?

Graduate school can be expensive, but there are several options for financing your education. These can include scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, student loans, and employer tuition assistance. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early.

5. What career opportunities will a graduate degree provide?

A graduate degree can open up a variety of career opportunities in your field of study. It can also lead to higher salaries and advancement opportunities. However, it's important to research the job market and demand for your specific degree and skills before pursuing a graduate degree.