What happened to i3 which joins with I1 to become I4?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DunceKirchhoff
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
http://i42.tinypic.com/10sfxa1.jpg

Im having trouble with the bridge circuit.

I see the current has been given 2A

So 6.6=3i1+2(i1-i2)
5i1-2i2=6.6

So applying KVL I get

0=4i2+5i1-3(2-i1)
8i2+5i1=6

So using simultaneous equations I get-

5i1-2i2=6.6
5i1+8i2=6

So 10i2=12.6

i2= 1.26 But that's the answer for i1!

Im new to physics so I am learning from scratch...but I am willing to put in the hours because I really need this qualification. Was considering hiring a tutor but money is scarce for me just now.

Any help would be appreciated :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DunceKirchhoff said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/10sfxa1.jpg

Im having trouble with the bridge circuit.

I see the current has been given 2A

So 6.6=3i1+2(i1-i2)
5i1-2i2=6.6
What happened to i3 which joins with I1 to become I4?

You'll need to employ a few more KCL relationships (or use some other analysis methods if you've covered them, such as mesh or nodal analysis).

Using just KCL and KVL I'd suggest writing KCL for each node to begin with so that you have a set of relationships between all the currents. Then write KVL for three loops and pound away at the substitutions...