What happened with my water bottle

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the person had an odd experience trying to open a water bottle that resulted in a powerful suction creating a vacuum inside the bottle. They had to cut the cap and ring to finally open it. They were unsure of the cause and mentioned possible reasons such as the water being bottled at a higher temperature and the bottle being bottled in a high altitude location. Others chimed in with similar experiences and theories, including the possibility of low pressure inside the bottle due to cooling. The discussion also touched on the deformation of the bottle and the person getting wet from the incident.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I had the oddest thing happen to me this morning. I was opening a water bottle... you know, bottled water that's $1 a bottle :rofl: :rofl: not really.. but yah, so i twisted open this bottle's cap about half a revolution and for some reason, it created a suction so poweful that it deformed the bottle and refused to open. I later had to just cut the little things attaching the cap and that ring to get it open.

Anyone have a clue what in the world happened here?

Is it possible that it was literally full of water and i was producing a vacuum in there and if so, how strong of a vacuum could really have existed in there? I got all wet because of it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you find any liquified air in the bottom of the container? That might have something to do with it.

Not that i remember. This was a simple bottle of water.

You could have had an issue like what is done, on purpose in canning. If the water was bottled and capped at a higher temperature, once the cap was in place, the water cools and volume decreases, causing a vacuum under the sealed cap.

Was it bottled in Colorado or someplace higher?

Pengwuino said:
... i twisted open this bottle's cap about half a revolution and for some reason, it created a suction so poweful that it deformed the bottle and refused to open...
Can you clarify?

Was the vacuum in there before you tried to open it, or are you saying that your attempt to open it caused the suction?

Did it simply begin to deform as soon as you broke the seal?

Or do you mean you twisted the cap ON?

My very first attempt to open the new bottle of water created the suction. No seal had broken or anything, it just started making the vacuum. It was bottled "Near California's Mount Shasta" at the "CG (crystal gyser) Roxane Source". Not sure how high it was but I've never had this happen to a bottle from them!

I've had this occassionaly happen with plastic cola-filled bottles, so, I know what you mean. As I start to un-twist the cap, the damn bottle collapses(squeezes in on it's own) and sprays me with cola.

Pengwuino said:
I got all wet because of it!
Wow ! Physics does excite you !

As for the weird bottle thing, some parts of the description are a bit confusing. If the air above the water was at a low pressure, cracking the cap will only cause air to rush in the tiny gaps and equilibrate the inside to atmosphere. I've often experienced this. A partially consumed bottle of water, after some refrigeration, will become wobbly. Cracking the cap fills it out and steadies it.

My best guess now is that cracking the cap caused air to seep in and increase the pressure inside the bottle. This increase in internal pressure resulted in a uniform outward stress on all parts of the bottle and cap. Now if the cap were made of stiffer or thicker material than the neck of the bottle (which I assume is plastic), the bottle-neck would want to expand more than the cap, but it can't. This causes the exerienced jamming.

Gokul, the problem was that it deformed inwards, not outwards. It was weird because when i opened it at that half revolution or whatever, it became impossibly hard to continue opening. It's as if i tightened the bottle when i tried to untighten it. And no, I'm not stupid and wasn't trying ot close it :P

On further thought, its happened to me before. With a pepsi in a freezer, and water bottles in the freezer. When I open it, they collapse. Not as violent as your situation Pengwuino, but it happens. Also, my waters tend to explode when I open them after they've been filled too much for freezing.

My guess is, there was low pressure inside the bottle from cooling but not enough to pass some critical point to deform inward. When you were holding the bottle you put enough pressure to get past this critical point allowing the low pressure to keep it sucked in.

Pengwuino said:
Gokul, the problem was that it deformed inwards, not outwards.
What part of the bottle deformed ?
Was it a regular plastic bottle ?
What happened when you did finally get it open ?

1. What caused my water bottle to leak?

There could be a few reasons for your water bottle leaking. It could be due to a crack or hole in the bottle, an issue with the lid or seal, or the bottle may have been placed in a position where the pressure caused it to leak. It's best to check for any visible damage and make sure the lid is tightly closed to prevent future leaks.

2. Why did my water bottle crack?

Water bottles can crack for various reasons, such as being dropped or exposed to extreme temperatures. Plastic water bottles are especially prone to cracking if they are not made of durable materials. It's important to handle your water bottle with care and avoid exposing it to extreme conditions.

3. How can I prevent my water bottle from getting moldy?

Mold can grow in your water bottle if it is not cleaned and dried properly. To prevent mold, make sure to wash your bottle with hot soapy water after each use and let it air dry completely before storing it. It's also a good idea to use a bottle brush to clean hard-to-reach areas and avoid leaving water in your bottle for extended periods.

4. Can I recycle my water bottle?

It depends on the type of water bottle you have. Most plastic water bottles can be recycled, but it's important to check the recycling guidelines in your area to make sure. Glass and stainless steel water bottles are also recyclable. It's always best to recycle your water bottle rather than throwing it away to help reduce waste.

5. Is it safe to refill my water bottle?

Yes, it is safe to refill your water bottle. In fact, it's better for the environment to reuse your water bottle rather than constantly buying new ones. Just make sure to clean and dry your bottle properly after each use to prevent bacteria growth. It's also recommended to replace your water bottle every 6-12 months for hygiene purposes.