Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happened with my water bottle

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I had the oddest thing happen to me this morning. I was opening a water bottle.... you know, bottled water thats $1 a bottle :rofl: :rofl: not really.. but yah, so i twisted open this bottle's cap about half a revolution and for some reason, it created a suction so poweful that it deformed the bottle and refused to open. I later had to just cut the little things attaching the cap and that ring to get it open.

Anyone have a clue what in the world happened here?

Is it possible that it was literally full of water and i was producing a vacuum in there and if so, how strong of a vacuum could really have existed in there? I got all wet because of it!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

Mk

Did you find any liquified air in the bottom of the container? That might have something to do with it.

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Not that i remember. This was a simple bottle of water.

5. Apr 18, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You could have had an issue like what is done, on purpose in canning. If the water was bottled and capped at a higher temperature, once the cap was in place, the water cools and volume decreases, causing a vacuum under the sealed cap.

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was it bottled in Colorado or someplace higher?

7. Apr 18, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Can you clarify?

Was the vacuum in there before you tried to open it, or are you saying that your attempt to open it caused the suction?

Did it simply begin to deform as soon as you broke the seal?

Or do you mean you twisted the cap ON?

8. Apr 18, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My very first attempt to open the new bottle of water created the suction. No seal had broken or anything, it just started making the vacuum. It was bottled "Near California's Mount Shasta" at the "CG (crystal gyser) Roxane Source". Not sure how high it was but i've never had this happen to a bottle from them!

9. Apr 18, 2006 #8
    I've had this occassionaly happen with plastic cola-filled bottles, so, I know what you mean. As I start to un-twist the cap, the damn bottle collapses(squeezes in on it's own) and sprays me with cola.

10. Apr 18, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow ! Physics does excite you !

As for the weird bottle thing, some parts of the description are a bit confusing. If the air above the water was at a low pressure, cracking the cap will only cause air to rush in the tiny gaps and equilibrate the inside to atmosphere. I've often experienced this. A partially consumed bottle of water, after some refrigeration, will become wobbly. Cracking the cap fills it out and steadies it.

My best guess now is that cracking the cap caused air to seep in and increase the pressure inside the bottle. This increase in internal pressure resulted in a uniform outward stress on all parts of the bottle and cap. Now if the cap were made of stiffer or thicker material than the neck of the bottle (which I assume is plastic), the bottle-neck would want to expand more than the cap, but it can't. This causes the exerienced jamming.

11. Apr 18, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Gokul, the problem was that it deformed inwards, not outwards. It was weird because when i opened it at that half revolution or whatever, it became impossibly hard to continue opening. It's as if i tightened the bottle when i tried to untighten it. And no, i'm not stupid and wasn't trying ot close it :P

12. Apr 19, 2006 #11

Mk

On further thought, its happened to me before. With a pepsi in a freezer, and water bottles in the freezer. When I open it, they collapse. Not as violent as your situation Pengwuino, but it happens. Also, my waters tend to explode when I open them after they've been filled too much for freezing.

13. Apr 19, 2006 #12
    My guess is, there was low pressure inside the bottle from cooling but not enough to pass some critical point to deform inward. When you were holding the bottle you put enough pressure to get past this critical point allowing the low pressure to keep it sucked in.

14. Apr 19, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What part of the bottle deformed ?
    Was it a regular plastic bottle ?
    What happened when you did finally get it open ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?