What happens if I have a rotating half-wave plate?

In summary, when a half-wave plate is rotated at 1 Hz and a linear polarizer is attached to the other end, the outgoing beam will still be unpolarized and with the same intensity as the incoming natural light, which can be modeled as randomly varying linearly polarized light. This is because the half-wave plate only rotates the polarization direction of linearly polarized light without changing the intensity, and the random nature of unpolarized light means that the polarization state and intensity will not change even when the half-wave plate is rotated at a certain rate.
Corwin_S
Hey there,

What would happen if I had a half-wave plate, and I rotated it at like 1 Hz? If I stick a linear polarizer on the other end, what would my outcoming beam look like if the incoming one was natural light?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by natural light?

Sorry. Unpolarized light from a laser.

Unpolarized light can be modeled as a randomly varying linearly polarized light, i,e, take a snapshot of the wavefront you will see it is polarized in one direction, take another snapshot at different time you will see it's polarized in another direction, it's just that there is no fixed relationship connecting the polarization states at different times. Now a half-wave plate is pure rotator, it only rotates the polarization direction of a linearly polarized light but keeps the intensity constant. If you let your unpolarized light pass through a half-wave plate, obviously the outgoing light will also be unpolarized without change in intensity because at every instant of time the polarization of an incident wavefront is just rotated. If you rotate the half-wave plate with a certain rate, do you think the polarization state as well as the intensity of an incoming unpolarized light will change given the random nature of the polarization state?

What is a rotating half-wave plate?

A rotating half-wave plate is an optical device that can rotate the orientation of the polarization of light passing through it.

How does a rotating half-wave plate work?

A rotating half-wave plate works by changing the polarization of light from linear to circular or vice versa. When light passes through the plate, it experiences a phase shift of 180 degrees, which changes the direction of the electric field and results in a change in polarization.

What happens if I rotate the half-wave plate?

If you rotate the half-wave plate, the polarization of the light passing through it will also rotate. The amount of rotation will depend on the angle of rotation and the initial polarization of the light.

Can a rotating half-wave plate change the intensity of light?

No, a rotating half-wave plate does not change the intensity of light. It only changes the polarization without affecting the intensity of the light passing through it.

What are the applications of a rotating half-wave plate?

A rotating half-wave plate is commonly used in optical devices such as polarimeters, optical isolators, and modulators. It is also used in various scientific and industrial applications, including laser technology, telecommunications, and spectroscopy.