1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to magnets held in certain position indefinitely?

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    Hello,

Can someone here settle a debate for me? A friend of mine said that if you hold two neodymium magnets 1" or so apart from each other with attracting ends (N-S) facing each other for prolonged periods of time (years and years), nothing will happen to the magnetic field. I stated, however, that the fields will eventually start to lose their magnetism much faster that letting the charge deplete on it's own (1% every ten years according to what I read).

He also states that if you pass another magnet through the two magnets held 1" or so through the both of them, also with attracting sides for the whole thing (n-s...n-s...n-s), where that third magnet keeps passing through the two over and over, he said it still won't matter.

I don't think that's true, is it?
    Thank you much
    PJ

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure. I've never read anything on this. From my meager knowledge of magnets, I'd guess that it wouldn't cause them to lose their strength faster, but I can't really say anything for sure.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    The attractive orientation helps magnets keep magnetized. Repulsive was less good at the time of AlNiCo magnets. With neodyme, you shouldn't worry.

Where does this 1% per 10 years come from? Serious manufacturer data? I've never read anything like that from manufacturers. Nor can I imagine it's independent of temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook