What happens to magnets held in certain position indefinitely?

In summary, two neodymium magnets held 1" apart with attracting ends facing each other for prolonged periods of time will not cause the magnetic fields to lose their strength faster. However, repeatedly passing another magnet through the two magnets in the same orientation may help them retain their magnetism. The claim of 1% loss of magnetism every ten years is not supported by manufacturer data and may be affected by temperature.
PJ2001
Hello,

Can someone here settle a debate for me? A friend of mine said that if you hold two neodymium magnets 1" or so apart from each other with attracting ends (N-S) facing each other for prolonged periods of time (years and years), nothing will happen to the magnetic field. I stated, however, that the fields will eventually start to lose their magnetism much faster that letting the charge deplete on it's own (1% every ten years according to what I read).

He also states that if you pass another magnet through the two magnets held 1" or so through the both of them, also with attracting sides for the whole thing (n-s...n-s...n-s), where that third magnet keeps passing through the two over and over, he said it still won't matter.

I don't think that's true, is it?
Thank you much
PJ

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure. I've never read anything on this. From my meager knowledge of magnets, I'd guess that it wouldn't cause them to lose their strength faster, but I can't really say anything for sure.

The attractive orientation helps magnets keep magnetized. Repulsive was less good at the time of AlNiCo magnets. With neodyme, you shouldn't worry.

Where does this 1% per 10 years come from? Serious manufacturer data? I've never read anything like that from manufacturers. Nor can I imagine it's independent of temperature.

What happens to magnets held in certain position indefinitely?

1. Will the magnet lose its magnetic field over time?

No, a magnet will not lose its magnetic field when held in a certain position indefinitely. The magnetic field of a magnet is a result of its atomic structure and will remain constant unless it is exposed to external factors such as high heat.

2. Will the strength of the magnetic field change?

No, the strength of the magnetic field will remain constant when a magnet is held in a certain position indefinitely. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the material and size of the magnet and will not change unless it is physically altered.

3. Can the position of the magnet affect its magnetic properties?

Yes, the position of the magnet can affect its magnetic properties, but only if it is placed in close proximity to another magnet or a magnetic material. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic fields of the two objects.

4. Will the magnet eventually lose its magnetism?

No, a magnet will not lose its magnetism when held in a certain position indefinitely. As long as the magnet is not exposed to external factors that can demagnetize it, it will retain its magnetic properties indefinitely.

5. Can the position of the magnet affect its attraction or repulsion to other magnets?

Yes, the position of the magnet can affect its attraction or repulsion to other magnets. When two magnets are held in a certain position, their magnetic fields can either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in different levels of attraction or repulsion.