What happens to water at just above absolute zero degrees?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 13K views
Jarfi
Messages
384
Reaction score
12
I know that water forms different kinds of crystals in different kind of temperatures but is there any temperature where water is solid but does not form crystals for example just above absolute zero degrees, what kind of crystals does it form?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
I know that water forms different kinds of crystals in different kind of temperatures but is there any temperature where water is solid but does not form crystals for example just above absolute zero degrees, what kind of crystals does it form?

Extremely rapid cooling, or vapour disposition at temperatures below ~140 K can form a glasslike solid.

http://stacks.iop.org/JPhysCM/15/R1669"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
willem2 said:
Extremely rapid cooling, or vapour disposition at temperatures below ~140 K can form a glasslike solid.

http://stacks.iop.org/JPhysCM/15/R1669"

Well answered. But that raises another question. Is glass a solid or just an extremely viscous liquid. Glass objects removed from Egyptian tombs show evidence of "flowing".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You can say yes because it does not have a normal melting point.

Some people also refer to it as a amorphous solid. There is no real consensus to my understanding.
 
Glass is an amorphous solid. As far as I know, there is no actual evidence of glass "flowing", just anecdotes which are poorly supported. If you have any actual references for the glass objects from egyptian tombs "flowing", I would love to see them, but all of the actual information that I have seen indicates the contrary.