Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens when lightning strikes the earth?

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    What happens when lightning strikes the earth? This is my first question.

Another question is that "Why do not we get a shock when in an overload,earthing comes into play?"

I should explain my 2nd question:::
    I mean to say that when a short circuit or overloading takes place excess current goes into the earth.What happens to that current? Why don't we get a shock in our feet?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2
    1- Lightning current neutralize and reduce a part of voltage difference between clouds and earth which cause that lightning strikes.
    2- Injected fault current to earth, go back to other side of electromagnetic coil which has produced short circuit emf via earth conductance, if other electrical circuit same our body is paralleled with earth impedance, flowing a piece of fault currents via our body ( called leg voltage) is possible.

--------------------------------
    Creative thinking is breezy, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook