What happens when the coefficient of friction is 0?

In summary, My physics teacher said something shocking a few months ago. During a lecture, he asked what would happen if mu of a solid is zero? We answered that the solid will slide very smoothly but he said the Electrostatic attraction would make it hard to slide as the distance between the two surfaces has decreased due to absence of irregularities. He was considering a hypothetical situation. I think you answered your teacher correctly.
GiriBang
My physics teacher said something shocking a few months ago.
During a lecture, he asked what would happen if mu of a solid is zero?
We answered that the solid will slide very smoothly but he said the Electrostatic attraction would make it hard to slide as the distance between the two surfaces has decreased due to absence of irregularities.
This is what he drew.
20200415_021806.jpg

When I tried to Google this all I get is info about super fluidity.
So is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not very knowledgeable about this but my first thought was:
how is mu reduced to zero in his scenario?

If it is zero as a consequence of being atomically smooth, then I can see his point,
But is he simply saying it becomes zero by fiat? i.e. by magic? If so, then I think friction would decrease.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not very knowledgeable about this but my first thought was:
how is mu reduced to zero in his scenario?

If it is zero as a consequence of being atomically smooth, then I can see his point,
But is he simply saying it becomes zero by fiat? i.e. by magic? If so, then I think friction would decrease.
He was considering a hypothetical situation.

I think you answered your teacher correctly. When μ = 0, the surface will no longer be able to exert a force parallel to it and in the opposite direction to the velocity of the object sliding on it. That's what would happen within the physical model in which μ scales the force that impedes the horizontal velocity of a sliding object.

Your teacher's response was related not to what would happen, i.e. the horizontal motion is unimpeded, but what physical model could conceivably be the case when the horizontal motion of the sliding object is unimpeded. It is true that if you have two perfectly smooth surfaces of the same material, they will bind and it will be hard to slide one mass on the other. However smoothness is not the only way to reduce μ; lubricants do an excellent job to that effect. Also, a solid does not have a μ. It takes two solids to specify the μ between them.

Likes Merlin3189, Lnewqban and etotheipi
kuruman said:
smooth surfaces of the same material, they will bind and it will be hard to slide one mass on the other.
Sorry I forgot to mention the two surfaces or of same material before. Also, is the reason of binding Electrostatic attraction?

GiriBang said:
...he asked what would happen if mu of a solid is zero?...he said the Electrostatic attraction would make it hard to slide...
That makes no sense, since the coefficient of friction tells you how difficult it is to slide, per definition.

If he asked what would happen if the surfaces were perfectly smooth, that's a different story. In vacuum they might even weld together:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding

• Informative
Likes Adesh, Merlin3189, Lnewqban and 4 others
also search for "jo blocks" or "gauge blocks" -- machinists use them in combination by "wringing" them together.

Likes Lnewqban
GiriBang said:
He was considering a hypothetical situation.
Nor am I suggesting otherwise.

A.T.'s post #6 expresses what I was getting at more eloquently.

GiriBang said:
During a lecture, he asked what would happen if mu of a solid is zero?
... but he said the Electrostatic attraction would make it hard to slide...
The coefficient of friction is just a measured rate that quantifies proportion of resistive to normal forces between two surfaces.
Rather than tending to zero, the value of the coefficient that would make the perfectly smooth surfaces hard to slide respect to each other would be high, not only due to electromagnetic effect but due to atmospheric pressure.

Lubrication and magnetism are two tools to reduce the coefficients of friction in bearings and other mechanisms as much as possible.
Note that for practical cold welding, rather than perfectly smooth and flat surfaces, huge amounts of pressing forces are used (hydraulic presses and explosives).

Likes Adesh and GiriBang
Lnewqban said:
The coefficient of friction is just a measured rate that quantifies proportion of resistive to normal forces between two surfaces.
So it's wrong to say "coefficient of friction of that surface is x" and right to say "coefficient of friction between those two surface is x" ?

Likes jbriggs444 and Lnewqban
GiriBang said:
So it's wrong to say "coefficient of friction of that surface is x" and right to say "coefficient of friction between those two surface is x" ?
Exactly!
For same smoothness and flatness, surfaces of same material tend to have higher coefficient of friction than different materials.
I believe that fact is related to same molecular alignment of the material.

Last edited:

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless value, typically denoted by the Greek letter "μ".

2. What does a coefficient of friction of 0 mean?

A coefficient of friction of 0 means that there is no resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. This indicates that the surfaces are perfectly smooth and there is no force preventing them from sliding or moving against each other.

3. What happens when the coefficient of friction is 0?

When the coefficient of friction is 0, there is no force acting to prevent two surfaces from sliding or moving against each other. This means that the surfaces will slide or move with very little resistance, if any.

4. Is it possible for the coefficient of friction to be 0?

In theory, yes, it is possible for the coefficient of friction to be 0. However, in reality, there will always be some level of imperfections or irregularities on the surfaces that will create at least a small amount of friction.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as the smoothness of the surfaces, the materials they are made of, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It can also vary depending on the type of motion (e.g. sliding, rolling) between the surfaces.