What happens when you point a laser-pointer into the sky?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Sky
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a laser beam from Earth traveling into space and the likelihood of it reaching far distances without being scattered or dissipated. There is mention of extraterrestrial activity and the use of lasers to measure distances in experiments. It is concluded that while the laser beam may eventually interact with matter, it can still travel great distances through space.
Holocene
Suppose it's a very clear night. You take a laser-pointer, and briefly allow it to "shine" into the sky.

Will the photons emitted from your laser actually make it millions of miles into space? Or will they somehow "dissipate" and not make it that far?

It would be very cool to think that just you or I could actually cause something to travel off into space and even long after we're gone, that that beam of light will still be traveling off into the stars.

Science news on Phys.org
Theoretically I think it's possible for the photons to travel through space forever, but in reality they're probably going to give up all their energy in an interaction with matter after a finite travel time.

Last edited:
If they make it out of the atmo, they're virtually home free. I think it would take lightyears of space to encounter that much matter again.

I would agree with the others and say that once out of the atmosphere, your photons will keep going until intercepted by matter. However, the atmosphere is pretty thick, so there would be quite a bit of scattering and whatnot for a little laser pointer.

Why use a laser pointer? Astronauts have been observing street lights from our cities since we started lofting them above the atmosphere...

By the way, your laser pointer has already attracted extraterrestrials. They are hovering in the skies over Mexico City even now...

I'm fairly certain that light from a laser pointer can make it out of the atmosphere in a virtually coherent form. However, even "empty" space contains some gas. So eventually all of the light would interact with matter.

arunma said:
I'm fairly certain that light from a laser pointer can make it out of the atmosphere in a virtually coherent form. However, even "empty" space contains some gas. So eventually all of the light would interact with matter.

Yup, this has happened already. I remember reading or someone telling that a laser on Earth was focused on the moon. I believe this is how they determined the distance from Earth to moon and also concluded that the moon is moving away from Earth at approx. 3.8cm(?) per year.

EDIT: the experiment is called Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment

ranger said:
Yup, this has happened already. I remember reading or someone telling that a laser on Earth was focused on the moon. I believe this is how they determined the distance from Earth to moon and also concluded that the moon is moving away from Earth at approx. 3.8cm(?) per year.

EDIT: the experiment is called Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment

Yes, this is true. As I recall, mirrors were placed on the moon by NASA astronauts who landed there in the early 70's, so as to facilitate this.

Obviously, the gas density in space is small enough that a laser beam would be able to travel quite a distance before scattering very much.

1. What happens to the laser beam when it reaches the sky?

When a laser beam is pointed into the sky, it continues to travel in a straight line until it is either absorbed or scattered by particles in the atmosphere.

2. Can the laser beam reach space?

No, the laser beam will eventually dissipate and become too weak to be visible before reaching space. It can only travel as far as the particles in the atmosphere allow.

3. Will the laser beam harm any objects in the sky?

In most cases, the laser beam will not harm any objects in the sky. However, it is important to avoid pointing lasers at aircrafts as it can cause temporary blinding and endanger the passengers and crew.

4. How does the color of the laser affect its visibility in the sky?

The color of the laser affects its visibility in the sky as different colors have different wavelengths and interact with particles in the atmosphere differently. Green lasers tend to be the most visible in the sky, while red lasers may appear dimmer.

5. Are there any regulations on pointing lasers into the sky?

Yes, there are regulations in place to prevent the misuse of lasers, particularly in regards to pointing them at aircrafts. It is important to follow these regulations to ensure the safety of others and avoid any legal consequences.