Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What happens with counter rotating gyroscopes?

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    I was thinking about retro rockets for landing and how precise they have to be, but then i thought "you could stabilize the whole thing with a gyroscope". Then I realized the gyroscope would cause the landing shipment to rotate in the opposite direction.

So I thought, hey, why not two gyroscopes, like almost right on top of each other?
    Would the two cancel each other? Would they rotate or experience some kind of tilt precession in that gap between the two along the axis?
    And what if you have 3 or 4 +gyroscopes going clockwise & counter clockwise?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they are on the same axle so that their forces cancel through the axle, then the axle can be moved with no effect from the spinning. So I don't think there would be any stabilization benefit from the gyros.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See here:

For a flying vehicle it's more difficult, because it has more degrees of freedom. And it would have to be lighter / smaller / cheaper than the fuel spent by the steering rockets, to be worth it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted