What happesn if you disconnect the driveshaft and rev the engine in Drive?

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionGoogled some.My guess is that based on speed input 0 mph ,transmission will override "drive" state and won't engage gears and spin at the tail of trans .I had that rear end speed sensor fail in one of my cars. The Check Engine light came on, but the car drove normally.I had that rear end speed sensor fail in one of my cars. The Check Engine light came on, but the car drove normally. In summary, if you disconnect the driveshaft from the transmission and rev the engine in the drive, the rear end speed sensor could be play some role in this.
Akita
[Moderator note: This thread was moved from a HW forum. Hence the template. But it doesn't sound like homework.]

1. Homework Statement

What will happen if i disconnect driveshaft from transmission and rev engine in drive?

Homework Equations

Rear end speed sensor could be play some role in this ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Googled some.My guess is that based on speed input 0 mph ,transmission will override "drive" state and won't engage gears and spin at the tail of trans .

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I had that rear end speed sensor fail in one of my cars. The Check Engine light came on, but the car drove normally.

anorlunda said:
I had that rear end speed sensor fail in one of my cars. The Check Engine light came on, but the car drove normally.
im trying to use my engine and transmission as PTO to power hydraulic pump,engine in first 2 gears lowering ratio 2.70 and 1.70 depend on gear rpm range comes 500-800rpm ,pump needs 1800rpm or 3000 if i go gear type to achieve max performance.I want to alter shifts and rev engine up to 2500rpm with 1:1 or 4th gear 0.87 ratio to maximize fuel efficiency,at 2500 it gets 200hp,pump needs only 100hp so it will be wast of fuel.engine is 7.3 powerstroke,e40d trans

anorlunda said:
i'll check it out now physically,will get back later today :D

took off driveshaft,both reverse and drive spins at tailshaft.but problem is there's no brakes to stop spinning in either direction and it grinds trans inside every time i switch gears.Now i have to figure out at what gear transmission spins at 1500,2000,2500 rpms.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Is the transmission auto or stick shift?
What do you mean "grinds the trans..."?

anorlunda said:
What are you trying to accomplish?
im trying to use my engine and transmission as PTO to power hydraulic pump
AZFIREBALL said:
Is the transmission auto or stick shift?
What do you mean "grinds the trans..."?
shifting from either D or R to any other positions forces grinding as there no driveshaft and I am assuming inertia keeps trans spinning ,so it made ugly noise until i turned off engine 3 secs later.

Related to What happesn if you disconnect the driveshaft and rev the engine in Drive?

1. What will happen if I disconnect the driveshaft and rev the engine in Drive?

If you disconnect the driveshaft and rev the engine in Drive, the vehicle will not move forward. This is because the driveshaft is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels, and without it, the wheels will not receive any power.

2. Will revving the engine in Drive damage the transmission?

Revving the engine in Drive without the driveshaft connected can potentially damage the transmission. This is because the transmission relies on the driveshaft to transfer power and without it, the transmission can overheat and wear out quickly.

3. Can I rev the engine in Park or Neutral without the driveshaft connected?

It is not recommended to rev the engine in Park or Neutral without the driveshaft connected. This can cause the engine to overheat and can also put unnecessary strain on the transmission.

4. What if I accidentally rev the engine in Drive with the driveshaft disconnected?

If you accidentally rev the engine in Drive with the driveshaft disconnected, the vehicle will not move forward but it may still cause damage to the transmission. It is best to avoid revving the engine in Drive without the driveshaft connected.

5. Is it safe to drive with the driveshaft disconnected?

No, it is not safe to drive with the driveshaft disconnected. Without the driveshaft, the vehicle will not be able to move and it can also cause damage to the transmission. It is important to always have the driveshaft properly connected before driving.