What has been your biggest mistake?

• Thread starter ron damon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the man is lamenting the fact that he has been having the same nightmare over and over again and it is preventing him from fully focusing on the older woman in the wheelchair.
Zantra said:
I have some advice for you, but I'll pm you instead...

Biggest regret is not applying myself after everyone told me how much I was wasting my potential. And realizing that if I had, I could have had a good shot at doing neurosurgery right now instead of what I'm doing.
Zantra, my bosses husband is older than you and he decided to go back and become a neurosurgeon after a long career in telecom. I know it sounds weird. I thought it might be hard to get back into med school after so long, but apparently if you're good enough (and maybe know the right people), it doesn't matter.

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the encouragement evo. Actually I'm pursuing it as we speak. Allbeit slowly because I haven't given up my current career in IT yet, but I'm chugging along. The crazy things old people do...

Zantra said:
Thanks for the encouragement evo. Actually I'm pursuing it as we speak. Allbeit slowly because I haven't given up my current career in IT yet, but I'm chugging along. The crazy things old people do...
Alrighty then! Good for you! :approve: Will you be giving discounts on brain surgery for your old PF buddies? :tongue:

Likes gracy
My biggest mistake was going directly from college to grad school. I should have gone into the workforce and then let my employer pay for everything.

Evo said:
Alrighty then! Good for you! :approve: Will you be giving discounts on brain surgery for your old PF buddies? :tongue:

Hey for you guys, I'll just take "half off" It's a no brainer. :biggrin:

yuk yuk.

Not taking risks.

I regret taking summer school.
I regret talking to people outside my family.

I often wonder if the choices I made over my life have prevented me from getting where I dreamed I would be by now. Sadly, given my options and circumstances, I think nothing within my power would have made a difference

Noel said:
So Sally can wait, she knows it's too late as she's walking on by
My soul slides away, but don't look back in anger, don't look back in anger
I heard you say

I don't regret anything!

I don't have any big regrets. The only one I can think of was today when I by accident met someone I've been wanting to meet for like a year and only talked to them for 2 minutes!:cry: Now I need a really good excuse to go back to his lab!
uh, I forgot my, um, pencil box holder cutting thingy?

My biggest mistake was partying too much. But I look back at that and can only say, "wow, that was fun!". It was a waste though...if you consider that I didn't amount to anything like being a physicist, for example. I did happen to become a great mom...a stay at home mom...and drive a Chevy Suburban! lol. So, I guess my life isn't too bad. Just wish I had more to show for my years.

pattylou said:
Is it officially killing you? I hope not - that's heavy, man.
If it's not yet - there are some new treatments.. including a vaccine (!) that helps a person kick the habit.
Advanced emphysema. It's slow but steady. I was having pretty good success with the new Nicorette inhaler system (aerosol nicotine), but have lapsed lately. I still have a bunch of it, though, so I'll get back on it. I'm scared to even look at the 'Can I Quit...' thread.

Danger said:
Advanced emphysema. It's slow but steady. I was having pretty good success with the new Nicorette inhaler system (aerosol nicotine), but have lapsed lately. I still have a bunch of it, though, so I'll get back on it. I'm scared to even look at the 'Can I Quit...' thread.
Danger, you'd better quit! I care too much about you for you to get sick and die on us. :grumpy:

Have you seen the pictures that show how quickly the lungs improve once you stop smoking?

Likes gracy
Yeah, Danger, you need to be in top form when we throw you in the volcano, or the gods will get angry.

I think I just quit today. :smile: It feels wonderful.

Given some of the nastier, careless, heartless, and just plain pointless things I've done, I probably should regret some of them, but I really don't. If one of my parents dies any time soon, I'll probably regret not being nicer to them (or at least I should regret, but knowing me, I'll just shrug it off), but as of right now, I really can't think of anything.

Seriously though, if I ever do become a more emotional person who actually regrets the bad things he does, it'll probably be mistreating people that I at least thought I loved, and that definitely loved me.

honestrosewater said:
you need to be in top form when we throw you in the volcano
What?! :eek:

Danger said:
What?! :eek:
Funny Guru gets thrown into the volcano... c'mon, keep up. :wink: I'm still smoke-free, by the way. :biggrin:

My biggest mistake in life was not going to Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Nursing where I would probably be earning big bucks right now as an alumni with some alphabet soup after my name. I am a nurse but my career path to success should have been much shorter. I think students today should go for the highest level of ahcievment possible, not sink into the easiest mode of life's roads of least resistance.