What was your biggest regret in life

• Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, my biggest regret was not taking more AP or honors courses in high school. I would likely have more scholarship money if I did take more and I would know more. Also, if I did not join the French Foreign Legion, I would likely not have a career as a mathematician.
Stephenk53
What was your biggest regret in life that you are okay sharing. Mine was not taking almost any AP or honors courses in high school. I would likely have more scholarship money if I did take more and I would know more.

Also if you do not want to say your biggest regret but want to say something feel free to say other regrets

Physics news on Phys.org
Ruining my teen age years with bad habits: drugs, alcohol, cigarettes. Ughh. I could have enrolled for undergrad mathematics after Year 12 and finish MSc by the time I was 24. No use complaining, though, hindsight is 20/20 vision etc. I'm glad I was able to put certain things behind me and do something that I think matters.

Enough of the mushy tone, I am actually a lot of fun :oldbiggrin: (even, when sober :bugeye:)

Likes dRic2, skyshrimp and Mondayman
Not listening to my gut and buying Google at IPO price of $85. Maybe not buying Facebook when it was $20 too.

Likes Craftek_Ana and dlgoff
Getting into alcohol and drugs during my teen years, and having a poor attitude and work ethic during the same period.

I rationalize it by saying that I wouldn't be the person I am today had I not made those poor choices then, but it's hard not to feel some regret over years gone to waste for bad habits.

Writing a first Polish computer game instead of checking when the exams are.

Actually I am not sure I regret, as it ended with quite a ride.

Likes epenguin and Drakkith
unfortunately, as robert de niro's character admitted in ronin, i hurt somebody's feelings once.

Likes BillTre and OCR
Being born...

Likes davenn
Not going to Grad School. :oldcry:

strangerep said:
Being born...
That's .. dark :olduhh:

Not admitting to my weaknesses, not asking for help more, expecting everything to be handed to me on a plate. I'm sure there are others.

Having said that, given the hand I was dealt, and the cards that I played, I have been and am extremely lucky and have the wherewithal to appreciate that.

Likes gleem
Listening to my parents.

Likes Suyash Singh
being born to poor people.

Not listening to my parents (mainly father), who advised me to change school when I had an opportunity. Too many troubles are cropping up, and life is becoming difficult as days are passing.

Not listening to parents.

Likes HAYAO and Aufbauwerk 2045
Reminds me of Mark Twain's observation about his father.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain

Likes davenn, dRic2, Spinnor and 3 others
Borek said:
Writing a first Polish computer game instead of checking when the exams are.

Actually I am not sure I regret, as it ended with quite a ride.
actually that's something nice, I am sure you were having a lot of fun when doing it and sometimes that's important.

I was sitting at the same table with the late Dr. Feynman last night in my dream and I failed to ask him a question, I kind of remember wanting to ask him something but I just walked away. Please see me again tonight Richard.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Not listening to my gut and buying Google at IPO price of $85. Maybe not buying Facebook when it was $20 too.
Or Apple when it was about $13.00 per share, or Amazon at some low price.

I have no contol over my life.
I can only make it worse not better.
At least for now.
#all average indian students

HAYAO said:
Listening to my parents.
Jamie Slaton said:
Not listening to parents.
This just really shows that people have different parents and lives, and that it is not fair to judge an individual based on general idea of parent-child relationship. While I agree most parents are right most of the time, such generalization is not precisely applicable when talking about each individual. I hate it when people tell me to that my parents are always right, even though they don't even know my parents.

Likes Suyash Singh
HAYAO said:
This just really shows that people have different parents and lives, and that it is not fair to judge an individual based on general idea of parent-child relationship. While I agree most parents are right most of the time, such generalization is not precisely applicable when talking about each individual. I hate it when people tell me to that my parents are always right, even though they don't even know my parents.
Same here. My parents are not evil but i wish they were actually 50 years old not just in terms of age.

Not ditching religion sooner and using all that wasted time practicing mathematics and physics.

Likes collinsmark, HAYAO, cobalt124 and 2 others
A lot, maybe one that bothers me these days is going for the wrong degree and not changing because I was to proud to admit I made a mistake... I made very good friends though so I really can't say it was a disaster ;)

Likes pinball1970
nuuskur said:
strangerep said:
Being born...
That's .. dark :olduhh:
Oh well, the "Kitten Lovers" thread usually cheers me up.

Likes davenn, collinsmark and nuuskur
after serious thought, i almost certainly should have chosen the bordeaux over the burgundy for dinner last night. and perhaps i should have mentioned this lesion on my face to my dermatologist before waiting a year, but you don't want to know that. other than that, not much, oh maybe i should have studied more and partied less, but what else is new? or perhaps partied more and studied less? all in all, pretty much nothing to regret.

Likes pinball1970
I guess I am opposite than most here.

I spent most of my money on women, whiskey,and motorcycles. The rest, I just wasted.

Likes davenn, strangerep and BillTre
mathwonk said:
pretty much nothing to regret.
Great post, I've made bad choices everyone has. You start regretting stuff thinking the universe has dealt you a bum deal you have lost it right there.

Likes mathwonk and Spinnor
rokytnji said:
I guess I am opposite than most here.

I spent most of my money on women, whiskey,and motorcycles. The rest, I just wasted.

That's the spirit! reminds me of George Best

I turned down a job offer because I had to choose my ex-boyfriend.

I shot a squirrel with a bb gun...that's only thing I regret and wish I could "take back".

1. What is your biggest regret in life?

My biggest regret in life is not pursuing my passion for science earlier. I spent many years in a job that I didn't enjoy, and I wish I had taken the leap to pursue my dreams sooner.

2. Do you think your biggest regret has affected your career as a scientist?

Yes, I do think my biggest regret has had an impact on my career as a scientist. I believe that if I had started my scientific journey earlier, I would have had more time to gain experience and make more significant contributions to the field.

3. How have you learned from your biggest regret?

I have learned to never ignore my passions and to take risks in pursuing my dreams. I have also learned to not let fear or societal expectations hold me back from following my heart.

4. Do you have any advice for others to avoid having regrets in life?

My advice would be to always listen to your inner voice and follow your dreams, even if it means taking a different path than what is expected. Life is too short to have regrets, so take chances and pursue what truly makes you happy.

5. How do you cope with your biggest regret?

I cope with my biggest regret by focusing on the present and making the most out of every opportunity that comes my way. I also remind myself that it's never too late to chase my dreams and make a positive impact in my field of study.