1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is 2-Form

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    Definition/Summary

The 1-forms (or covectors or psuedovectors) of a vector space with local basis [itex](dx_1,dx_2,\dots,dx_n)[/itex] are elements of a vector space with local basis [itex](dx^1,dx^2,\dots,dx^n)[/itex]

The 2-forms are elements of the exterior product space with local basis [itex](dx^1\wedge dx^2,\ \dots)[/itex]

In flat space with a global basis, the "d"s in the bases may be omitted.

In ordinary 3-dimensional space, a 2-form is a directed area, whose normal covector (1-form) is the dual (Hodge dual) of the 2-form.

Equations

In ordinary 3-dimensional space with basis [itex](i,j,k)[/itex]:

the 2-forms have the basis:
    [tex](j\wedge k,\ k\wedge i,\ i\wedge j)[/tex]

and the 3-forms are all multiples of:
    [tex]i\wedge j \wedge k[/tex]

and there are no higher forms.

The curl [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\mathbf{a}[/itex] of a vector and the cross product [itex]\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}[/itex] of two vectors are covectors, or 1-forms, whose duals (Hodge duals) are 2-forms which are, respectively, the exterior derivative and exterior product of their covectors:

[tex]\ast(\mathbf{\nabla}\times\mathbf{a}_i)\ =\ d \mathbf{a}^i[/tex]

[tex]\ast(\mathbf{a}_i\times\mathbf{b}_i)\ =\ \mathbf{a}^i\wedge \mathbf{b}^i[/tex]

Extended explanation

p-forms (differential forms):

Generally, for any number p, the p-forms are elements of the exterior product space with basis [itex](dx^1\wedge dx^2\wedge\cdots \wedge dx^p,\cdots )[/itex]

p-forms in 4-dimensional space-time:

The 2-forms in 4-dimensional space-time (Newtonian or Einsteinian) with basis [itex](t,i,j,k)[/itex] have the basis:
    [tex](t\wedge i,\ t\wedge j,\ t\wedge k,\ j\wedge k,\ k\wedge i,\ i\wedge j)[/tex]

and the 3-forms have the basis:
    [tex](i\wedge j \wedge k,\ t\wedge i \wedge j,\ t\wedge j\wedge k,\ t\wedge k\wedge i,)[/tex]

and the 4-forms are all multiples of:
    [tex]t\wedge i\wedge j \wedge k[/tex]

and there are no higher forms.

Electromagnetic 2-forms

The best-known 2-forms are the Faraday 2-form for electromagnetic field strength [itex]\mathbf{F}\,=\,\frac{1}{2} F_{ij}dx^i\wedge dx^j[/itex], with coordinates [itex](E_x,E_y,E_z,B_x,B_y,B_z)[/itex], and its dual (Hodge dual), the Maxwell 2-form [itex]\ast\mathbf{F}[/itex], with coordinates [itex](-E_x,-E_y,-E_z,B_x,B_y,B_z)[/itex]

Maxwell's equations may be written:

[tex]d \mathbf{F}\ =\ 0[/tex]

[tex]d(\ast\mathbf{F})\ =\ \mathbf{J}[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is the current 3-form:

[tex]\mathbf{J}\ =\ \ast(\rho,\ J_x,\ J_y,\ J_z) = \rho i\wedge j\wedge k\ +\ J_x t\wedge j\wedge k\ +\ J_y t\wedge k\wedge i\ +\ J_z t\wedge i\wedge j[/tex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted