Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Problem when solving example with differential forms

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    Hi was reading about differential forms, when I tried to solve the example EPOnpJe.png given in this pdf https://www.rose-hulman.edu/~bryan/lottamath/difform.pdf. According to it, the answer is that on the image above. But when I tried to solve this same example by following the expression for ##w## given in this pdf http://www.bose.res.in/~amitabha/diffgeom/chap13.pdf, namely that a p-form ##w## can be written as $$\frac{1}{p!}w_{\mu_1 ... \mu_p}dx^{\mu_1} \wedge \ ... \ \wedge dx^{\mu_p}$$ and that ##w##, in this case, applied to two vectors ##v_{(1)}## and ##v_{(2)}## is ##w_{i j}v_{(1)}^i v_{(2)}^j##, the answer that I'm getting diverges from that given in the other pdf. What is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2
    I noticed that the only problem is that in one pdf they introduce a factor ##1 / p!## while in the other they don't. My answer is off by a factor of ##1/2## in this case. So what is the correct?

I guess if one were going to consider only the anti-symmetric part of ##A(u)B(v)## then a factor of ##1/2## would be needed. But if one were considering ##A(u)B(v) - A(v)B(u)## it is not clear whether a factor of ##1/2## is needed. (##A, B## are one-forms and ##v, u## are vectors)

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

You ask us what's wrong with your calculation we do not get to see?

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4
    After this thread, I noticed that I have forgotten to summing over all components and that was the cause of not getting the right result.
    Thanks

6. Apr 15, 2017 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

Look, if you want people to invest time to help you, you shouldn't expect them to have paranormal abilities.

I've read a couple of your questions now and they seem highly confused, giving me the impression that you're studying stuff without the right background.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted