Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is 3 digit arithmetic?

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    what is 3(or i, where i=1,2,3,4......∞) digit arithmetic? is it just working with 3 decimals or 3 significant figures? or is it base 3 arithmetic?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Context?

The expression could mean anything.

But if I heard someone say they could do 3 digit arithmetic, I would assume they could add subtract and multiply 3-digit numbers (100-999).

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    the context was talking about floating point numbers and catastrophic cancellation in the quadratic equation.

it said using 3 digit arithmetic:
    *subs in some numbers, 0.2, 100.9 etc into the quad equation and at the end rounds the entire number to 3 digits*

am i right in assuming that all the numbers used to input had to be 3 decimals and then the final number had to be 3 digits?
    or does every number in the process have to be rounded to 3 decimals as the number is created? step by step?

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, any decent calculator or computer will carry 12 or more digits for its calculations. But just to give a simple example, that a human could calculate easily, of how cancellation happens, they are restricting to three digits. I don't see any difference between using three digits from the outset and rounding to three digits.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What? Of course there's a difference.

7. Nov 8, 2011 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since the context is floating point arithmetic, my guess at what you're asking is that numbers are represented by a 3-digit mantissa and an exponent.

Using the numbers you gave as examples, 0.2 would be 2.00 x 10-1 and 100.9 would be 1.01 x 102.

If you want a better answer, you'll need to ask a question that is clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook