Understanding Functions: Why We Call it a Function?

• B
  • Thread starter jenniferAOI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a function is a special type of relation where each input value has only one corresponding output value. This is different from a general relation, which can have multiple output values for one input. The term "function" is used in both common and mathematical language, but in mathematics it requires a specific and exact relationship between the input and output values. This distinction is made to help identify the potential reversibility of a function. In calculus, the focus is on functions rather than general relations because of this specific and exact relationship between input and output values.
jenniferAOI
why does a function have to be called function? Can't it be just be called a relation, for instance, of 2 variables?
the word function is confusing me. Of course, I have searched and read its definition but i just can not get it. I could just set it in my head but I don't understand it well enough.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jenniferAOI said:
why does a function have to be called function? Can't it be just be called a relation, for instance, of 2 variables?
the word function is confusing me. Of course, I have searched and read its definition but i just can not get it. I could just set it in my head but I don't understand it well enough.

A function is a special relation:

A function f: A→B: x→ f(x) is a relation where given an x ∈ A, you can only find one f(x) ∈ B. We call x the variable, since f(x) depends on the value of x.

Likes libervurto
Math_QED said:
A function is a special relation:
thanks for that. then how about the function which is like a "machine thing"? In what sense exactly?:confused:

jenniferAOI said:
thanks for that. then how about the function which is like a "machine thing"? In what sense exactly?:confused:
You mean a composition of functions? Is that what you mean by saying "machine thing"?

jenniferAOI said:
You can think of a function as a sort of machine in which one number goes in (the input), and another comes out (the output). For example if you have a function whose formula is f(x) = 2x - 3, an input value of 5 results in an output value of 7. In function notation, this is f(5) = 2(5) - 3 = 7.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
You mean a composition of functions? Is that what you mean by saying "machine thing"?
I don't believe she is talking about function composition here.

Likes jenniferAOI
The "machine thing" is a good way to understand "function". You put an element into the machine, the machine does some process to the element, and something comes out of the machine, some item which is a result which depends on the item input and the stuff inside the function.

Likes jenniferAOI
I agree fully with you

jenniferAOI said:
the word function is confusing me.

It may help to distinguish between "common language" and mathematical terminology. For example, an article on economics might say "job creation is a function of the prime interest rate", which in common language means that the number of jobs created is affected by the prime interest rate. However such a statement wouldn't be interpreted as a claim about a mathematical function - i.e. it wouldn't be a claim that if you are given the exact value of the prime interest rate (e.g. 3.02 %) that you could could determine the exact number of jobs created (e.g. 314,255 ).

Likes jenniferAOI, PeroK, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
A function being something different than a relation is that a function will give only ONE result for any input. A relation can give more than one result for anyone input. The distinction is made to help identify possible reversibility.

Likes jenniferAOI
Stephen Tashi said:
It may help to distinguish between "common language" and mathematical terminology. For example, an article on economics might say "job creation is a function of the prime interest rate", which in common language means that the number of jobs created is affected by the prime interest rate. However such a statement wouldn't be interpreted as a claim about a mathematical function - i.e. it wouldn't be a claim that if you are given the exact value of the prime interest rate (e.g. 3.02 %) that you could could determine the exact number of jobs created (e.g. 314,255 ).
Well said, I really like how you wrote this :)

A function is a relation between two sets ##A## and ##B##, which might contain any type of object you like, but with the restriction that each object of ##A## is in relation with at most one object of ##B##, which is zero or one object. The definition set of a function is the subset of ##A## that contains all elements of ##A## that are in relation with exactly one element of ##B##.

Likes jenniferAOI
Mark44 said:
For example if you have a function whose formula is f(x) = 2x - 3, an input value of 5 results in an output value of 7. In function notation, this is f(5) = 2(5) - 3 = 7.
I understand. Is the one we are calling the "function" is the formula itself?

Stephen Tashi said:
yes and this is where the
Math_QED said:
A function is a special relation
comes in.The word "function" relates two things in a special way which applies in both languages. Just that in mathematics, it demands an exact value while in your economics example it was a mere statement of the relationship between the 2 things, right?

symbolipoint said:
A function being something different than a relation is that a function will give only ONE result for any input. A relation can give more than one result for anyone input.
thank you. This is a great help.
symbolipoint said:
The distinction is made to help identify possible reversibility.
but what kind of reversibility?

thank you guys for all the responses. I really appreciate it. It is somehow becoming clearer. But another question:
In calculus, why does it uses just function and not relation?

jenniferAOI said:
thank you. This is a great help.

but what kind of reversibility?
jenniferAOI said:
thank you guys for all the responses. I really appreciate it. It is somehow becoming clearer. But another question:
In calculus, why does it uses just function and not relation?
We want to be able to UNDO what a function does.
f(x) can be a function. You put in a number x, and the function gives output y.

We also want some function maybe called g(x), so that g(f(x))=x and f(g(x))=x.

symbolipoint said:
We want to be able to UNDO what a function does.
f(x) can be a function. You put in a number x, and the function gives output y.

We also want some function maybe called g(x), so that g(f(x))=x and f(g(x))=x.
okay. So there ain't any reversing the process in a relation?

jenniferAOI said:
okay. So there ain't any reversing the process in a relation?
A function is still a relation; but not every relation is a function.

The better way to learn this slow and deep is to study Intermediate Algebra. That will make some ideas clearer.

Likes jenniferAOI
symbolipoint said:
A function is still a relation; but not every relation is a function.

The better way to learn this slow and deep is to study Intermediate Algebra. That will make some ideas clearer.
Okay. Thank you. :)

What is a function?

A function is a set of statements or instructions that perform a specific task. It takes in inputs, processes them, and produces an output.

Why do we call it a function?

We call it a function because it is a mathematical concept that relates an input to an output. Just like a mathematical function, a function in programming takes in an input, performs a set of operations, and produces an output.

What is the purpose of using functions?

The main purpose of using functions is to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable tasks. This makes the code more organized, easier to read, and maintainable. Functions also promote code reusability, as they can be called multiple times within a program.

What are the components of a function?

The components of a function include the function name, parameters (inputs), function body (statements or instructions), and the return statement (output). Optional components may include a function description, documentation, and error handling.

How do you define and call a function?

To define a function, you use the keyword "function" followed by the function name, parentheses containing the parameters (if any), and curly braces containing the function body. To call a function, you simply use the function name followed by parentheses and pass in the required arguments (if any).