Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a grouping factor?

  1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    I am staring a course in graphical modelling, and I have no idea what this is.

    For example, if I is a fixed grouping factor, and Y is a response, then it is natural to examine the densities fY/I (y/i) for each level i of I.

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?
  4. Oct 23, 2014 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I don't believe that has anything to do with probability or statistics. My understanding of "grouping factor" in computer graphics is that the "grouping factor" for a collection of objects is a single number that measures the overall distance between the objects. There are a number of different ways of finding that. One is to take the distance from the "center" of the group to the object most distance from that center.
  5. Oct 24, 2014 #4

    Stephen Tashi

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Maybe it's this subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_model The terminology in specialized applications of that sort isn't widely known in the general mathematical community. Paalfis should give a link to material that defines the terms - or else get lucky and attract the attention of a specialist.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook