1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a magnetic field made of

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    i want to know more about magnetic fields and what their made of

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    According to modern physics, magnetic (and electric) fields are photon fields, therefore magnetic fields are made out of energy.

4. Dec 28, 2009 #3
    Magnetic fields are just relativistic electric fields. And quantum electrodynamics says that the electromagnetic field can be quantized as a photon field. I guess you could say the field is made out of virtual photons (though I wouldn't quite put it that way).

5. Dec 28, 2009 #4
    I was wondering that too. Some people with particle phyics knowledge told me that it is made up of photons, confusing me further, as i have read somewhere that photons move with a constant velocity

6. Dec 28, 2009 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are really interested in learning about magnetic fields you need to start at the beginning. It just does not make sense to start with the explanations provided by relativity, when the beginner has no idea of either electromagnetism or relativity.

Unfortunately there is no 2 sentence, or even 2 page explanation which can do the subject justice. I would recommend that you find a used copy of something like Halliday & Resnick. Start at the beginning of the Electromagnetism section and read carefully. If you do not have a math background which includes calculus then you may find the reading difficult.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook