Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a principal null direction

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    I am starting my honours project on colliding plane gravitational waves and I am learning about the Petrov-Penrose classification of the Weyl tensor. I can't find any good explanation on what a principal null direction is.

Thanks

Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

A principal null vector is an eigenvector of the Riemann tensor. Consider first the Maxwell tensor Fμν. A principal null vector of the Maxwell tensor is a null vector kν such that kαFαν ∝ kν. An equivalent way of writing this is kαFα[νkσ] = 0. Similarly a principal null vector of the Riemann tensor is a null vector such that

kαkRν]αβ[σkτ]kβ = 0

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks for that!

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4
    I am actually having a little trouble with the anti-symmetric part of your answer. I understand that [tex]T_{[ab]} = \frac{1}{2}(T_{ab}-T_{ba})[/tex]. But how do you expand when the square brackets go over more than one tensor? I.e. in [tex]K^aF_{a[v}K_{\sigma]} = 0[/tex]?
    Thanks again

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]K^aF_{a[v}K_{\sigma]} = \frac{1}{2} \left( K^aF_{a v}K_\sigma - K^aF_{a \sigma}K_v \right)[/tex]

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6
    Cool, thought that would be the case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook