What is a principal null direction

• Thread starter purakanui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, a principal null vector is an eigenvector of the Riemann tensor and can be defined as a null vector kν such that kαFαν ∝ kν or kαk[μRν]αβ[σkτ]kβ = 0. When the square brackets go over more than one tensor, the anti-symmetric part can be expanded using the formula T_{[ab]} = \frac{1}{2}(T_{ab}-T_{ba}).
purakanui
I am starting my honours project on colliding plane gravitational waves and I am learning about the Petrov-Penrose classification of the Weyl tensor. I can't find any good explanation on what a principal null direction is.

Thanks

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
A principal null vector is an eigenvector of the Riemann tensor. Consider first the Maxwell tensor Fμν. A principal null vector of the Maxwell tensor is a null vector kν such that kαFαν ∝ kν. An equivalent way of writing this is kαFα[νkσ] = 0. Similarly a principal null vector of the Riemann tensor is a null vector such that

kαkRν]αβ[σkτ]kβ = 0

Thanks for that!

I am actually having a little trouble with the anti-symmetric part of your answer. I understand that [tex]T_{[ab]} = \frac{1}{2}(T_{ab}-T_{ba})[/tex]. But how do you expand when the square brackets go over more than one tensor? I.e. in [tex]K^aF_{a[v}K_{\sigma]} = 0[/tex]?
Thanks again

purakanui said:
I am actually having a little trouble with the anti-symmetric part of your answer. I understand that [tex]T_{[ab]} = \frac{1}{2}(T_{ab}-T_{ba})[/tex]. But how do you expand when the square brackets go over more than one tensor? I.e. in [tex]K^aF_{a[v}K_{\sigma]} = 0[/tex]?
Thanks again

[tex]K^aF_{a[v}K_{\sigma]} = \frac{1}{2} \left( K^aF_{a v}K_\sigma - K^aF_{a \sigma}K_v \right)[/tex]

Cool, thought that would be the case.

1. What is a principal null direction?

A principal null direction is a direction in which a wave or field has zero amplitude. It is a mathematical concept commonly used in the study of general relativity and other areas of physics.

2. How is a principal null direction determined?

A principal null direction is determined by finding the eigenvector of a matrix representing the directional derivatives of a given wave or field. This eigenvector corresponds to the direction in which the amplitude is zero.

3. What is the significance of a principal null direction?

The principal null direction is important because it represents the direction in which a wave or field does not change. This can provide valuable information about the behavior of the wave or field, and can help in making predictions and calculations.

4. Can a principal null direction have a physical interpretation?

In some cases, a principal null direction can have a physical interpretation. For example, in general relativity, the principal null direction corresponds to the direction of light propagation in a gravitational field. In other cases, it may simply be a mathematical concept with no direct physical interpretation.

5. Are principal null directions unique?

No, a given wave or field may have multiple principal null directions. However, each direction will correspond to a different eigenvector of the directional derivative matrix. These directions may also change depending on the specific conditions of the system being studied.