What is a Simple Explanation of General Relativity for High School Students?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
pettysm
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I was researching the theory of general relativity, but I couldn't find material that I could understand. I'm looking for a good explanation around high school level. Could anyone help me out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Go through the links in this page - http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/relativity.html - I think popular science sites and web tutorials are the ones that'll help you the most. Also check out further reading for "reviews" of books on relativity at all levels.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking to just get the basic concepts or to actually be able to do some calculations?

You need a lot of mathematics under your belt like differential equations, vector calculus, linear algebra, tensor calculus and special relativity (and differential geometry wouldn't hurt either!) before you can get into the 'meat' of GR. Most universities consider GR a 3rd or even 4th year course (at least here in the UK they do).

If you're after just a qualative description, plenty of popular science books cover it. Hawking's books are pretty good for beginners :)
 
Last edited:
pettysm said:
I was researching the theory of general relativity, but I couldn't find material that I could understand. I'm looking for a good explanation around high school level. Could anyone help me out?

There aren't very many at high school level. Geroch's "General Relativity from A to B" comes to mind. (I've got to get it back to the library tomorrow...).
 
pettysm said:
I was researching the theory of general relativity, but I couldn't find material that I could understand. I'm looking for a good explanation around high school level. Could anyone help me out?
Sure

Relativity; The Special and General Theory, Albert Einstein. Three Rivers Press

Pete