Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a space/spatail harmonic?

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    What is a space/spatial harmonic?

Hi

I am doing a project on folded waveguides and I am reading some IEEE papers for literature review. I always come across this term "space harmonic" and fail to understand what it is. I have checked online but don't get it. Even posted in the Electrical Engineering section but didn't get any answers.

Could anyone explain/link me to an understandable definitation of space/spatial harmonic(s)

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You should really include at least one clear citation to your sources.

Without seeing that, the only thing that I can come up with is that it is simply a short description of the spherical or cylindrical harmonics, depending on the geometry. These are the well-known solutions to a particular differential equations that are often used in E&M and QM, as well as in many other areas.

Zz.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    Thanks for quick reply, here is one of the papers where spatial harmonics are mentioned

Accurate parametric modeling of folded waveguide circuits for millimeter-wave traveling wave tubes by Booske, J.H
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1424348

Do you have access to IEEE papers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook