1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a space/spatail harmonic?

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    What is a space/spatial harmonic?

Hi

I am doing a project on folded waveguides and I am reading some IEEE papers for literature review. I always come across this term "space harmonic" and fail to understand what it is. I have checked online but don't get it. Even posted in the Electrical Engineering section but didn't get any answers.

Could anyone explain/link me to an understandable definitation of space/spatial harmonic(s)

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You should really include at least one clear citation to your sources.

Without seeing that, the only thing that I can come up with is that it is simply a short description of the spherical or cylindrical harmonics, depending on the geometry. These are the well-known solutions to a particular differential equations that are often used in E&M and QM, as well as in many other areas.

Zz.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    Thanks for quick reply, here is one of the papers where spatial harmonics are mentioned

Accurate parametric modeling of folded waveguide circuits for millimeter-wave traveling wave tubes by Booske, J.H
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1424348

Do you have access to IEEE papers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook