What is a space/spatail harmonic?

• Thread starter shpongle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, the conversation discusses the term "space harmonic" and its definition in relation to folded waveguides. The individual is seeking an understandable explanation and citation for this term. A possible explanation is that it refers to the spherical or cylindrical harmonics, which are solutions to a differential equation commonly used in various fields. A paper by Booske et al. is mentioned as a potential source for further information.
shpongle
What is a space/spatial harmonic?

Hi

I am doing a project on folded waveguides and I am reading some IEEE papers for literature review. I always come across this term "space harmonic" and fail to understand what it is. I have checked online but don't get it. Even posted in the Electrical Engineering section but didn't get any answers.

Could anyone explain/link me to an understandable definitation of space/spatial harmonic(s)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should really include at least one clear citation to your sources.

Without seeing that, the only thing that I can come up with is that it is simply a short description of the spherical or cylindrical harmonics, depending on the geometry. These are the well-known solutions to a particular differential equations that are often used in E&M and QM, as well as in many other areas.

Zz.

Thanks for quick reply, here is one of the papers where spatial harmonics are mentioned

Accurate parametric modeling of folded waveguide circuits for millimeter-wave traveling wave tubes by Booske, J.H
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1424348

Do you have access to IEEE papers?

1. What is a space harmonic?

A space harmonic, also known as a spatial harmonic, is a type of wave or vibration that occurs in a physical space. It is characterized by a specific frequency and wavelength and can be observed in various systems such as electromagnetic fields, sound waves, and mechanical vibrations.

2. How is a space harmonic different from a regular harmonic?

A regular harmonic, or simply a harmonic, refers to a wave or vibration that repeats itself at regular intervals, such as a sine wave. On the other hand, a space harmonic is a wave or vibration that occurs in physical space and can have varying frequencies and wavelengths.

3. What is the significance of studying space harmonics?

Studying space harmonics is important for understanding the behavior and properties of various physical systems. It can also help in the design and optimization of systems, such as antennas and acoustic devices, that rely on the generation or manipulation of space harmonics.

4. Can space harmonics be observed in everyday life?

Yes, space harmonics can be observed in various everyday phenomena, such as the sound produced by musical instruments, the electromagnetic waves used in communication technologies, and the vibrations of buildings and bridges.

5. How are space harmonics mathematically represented?

Space harmonics are often represented using mathematical equations, such as Fourier series and Fourier transforms, which describe the composition of a complex wave or vibration in terms of simpler harmonic components.