1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a vapor bulb thermometer ?

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    What is a "vapor bulb thermometer"?

The problem statement
    vapor bulb thermometer

I'm simply looking for a definition. I haven't been able to find it on the internet. Before looking in a library, I was wondering if anyone knows which book to look for, or where on the internet a definition could be found.

This is not for a test. I simply don't know what a vapor bulb thermometer is.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
  5. Feb 23, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From the US Patent and Trademark office...

United States Patent 5,609,418
    Black March 11, 1997

Clapeyron thermometer

Abstract
    A high resolution thermometer operated by the pressure of a solid/liquid se mixture is characterized by a vessel containing the mixture, a pressure sensor and a pressure indicator. A relatively small change in the temperature to be measured causes the proportion of solid and liquid in the vessel to change, thereby producing a dramatic change in pressure which can be measured with greater accuracy than the relatively small temperature change. Temperature is determined by converting the pressure to temperature using the appropriate thermodynamic relationship.

This patent references prior art that describes the operational principles of a vapor bulb thermometer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?