What is boutique line binning in MPU production?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sci.Jayme
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Silicon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Sci.Jayme
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi all.

A little while ago I overheard my cousin chatting with a friend who works in the semicon industry about the binning process. He was specifically talking about MPU binning techniques in use nowadays and I overheard him mention something to the sound of "boutique line binning". :confused:

I have no idea what it is, but I only remember scant notes of what he mentioned - something to do with pushing some sort of line (L gate?) further to produce higher FMax bin silicon at the cost of power and expense (usually the expensive models/power consuming by any MPU MFG).

I've searched online and not found reference to this anywhere. Can someone explain to me what this is and provide a reference to study about it?

Also how is it possible to distinguish if this technique is being used on a CPU, after production by an individual? Are there telltale signs?

Thanks for the help.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org