What is it really like to be a mathematician?

1. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Alexandre Borovik wrote a really wonderful essay on this topic, as a comment and aid in the problem of developing the next generation of creative mathematicians in the UK, his adopted country. He takes a hard cold look at the realities, as indicated by this passage:

This sure resonates with me; in the course of writing my abortive Ph D thesis I generated and proved several good theorems, and oh! it was hard! Not just difficult, but wracking. As the man says, junkies.

If you lke his style, you can read Alexandre Borovik's blog at http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~avb/micromathematics/.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank you!

I like to read about these things. I'm a big fan of biographies of mathematicians and/or scientists.

4. quasar987

quasar987 4,770
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  5. PerennialII

PerennialII 1,102
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

refreshing (or depressing) read, feel affinity no matter, thanks!

6. Thanks for that!

7. I m trying to be a mathematician or i m already one ,i feel happy good with mathemtics regardless of career with math , it s my daily life , i feel good when i solve a problem .but it looks to some people i m sad i have a sad face ,am i going wrong spending time on math ,things that bring me my proper happiness ?do i have to move onto professional fields ? I have been trying to solve that question since long.it means if you choose math assume the rest

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?