What Is It? Update: New Use for a Business Card Holder

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a holder for business cards that was identified by @fresh_42. The holder was later found to be useful for holding bus, metro, and light-rail tickets and passes. The user was able to ride for free using a barcode and later registered the card to add money for future trips.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
35F6529C-4921-4614-8066-A2B8AF5C26DF.jpeg

A few months ago, we had a photo contest, "What Is It?". @fresh_42 identified my entry as a holder for business cards. Even if I'd known what it was before, I've never needed business cards anyway, so I simply used it as a paperweight.

While cleaning off my desk today, I found an appropriate use for it, considering that Parsons Brinckerhoff is involved in transportation engineering. I'm now using it as a holder for bus / metro / light-rail tickets and passes (from dispensing machines) and reloadable electronic smart-cards.

Attachments

• 35F6529C-4921-4614-8066-A2B8AF5C26DF.jpeg
    35F6529C-4921-4614-8066-A2B8AF5C26DF.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 653
Likes davenn, DennisN, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! I just rode free using your barcode. Much appreciated! :cool:

Likes davenn, DennisN, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
The ticket inspector didn't complain about the card having no money on it? I only put a one-day pass on it when I bought it. I'd better check my credit card account. :wideeyed:

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, DennisN and Wrichik Basu
I looked on the SunRail site and found that they don't have a day-pass, just 7-day and 30-day passes. And single-trip tickets, of course. So I set up an account and registered my card. It turns out to identify your card you use the card number on the back, not the barcode number on the front (whew). I found out I do have a small balance, enough for a single one-zone trip. I also found a list of all the trips I took using the card, during my single day in Orlando on my "Sunshine state road trip" last year. Next time I visit Orlando, I can add money to the card in advance so I don't have to deal with a ticket machine.

Related to What Is It? Update: New Use for a Business Card Holder

1. What is a business card holder?

A business card holder is a small case or holder used to store and organize business cards. It is typically made of plastic, metal, or leather and can come in various shapes and sizes.

2. How is a business card holder typically used?

A business card holder is typically used to store and carry business cards for easy access and distribution. It can also be used as a professional way to present business cards during meetings or networking events.

3. What is the new use for a business card holder?

The new use for a business card holder is to hold and organize small electronic devices, such as USB drives, flash drives, and memory cards. This allows for easy access and prevents these items from getting lost or damaged.

4. How does the new use for a business card holder benefit businesses?

The new use for a business card holder benefits businesses by providing a multi-functional tool that can be used for both storing business cards and electronic devices. This can save space and increase efficiency in the workplace.

5. Is the new use for a business card holder environmentally friendly?

Yes, the new use for a business card holder is environmentally friendly as it promotes reusing and repurposing an existing item instead of purchasing new ones. This helps reduce waste and supports sustainable practices.