What is Lorentz transformation?

In summary, Lorentz transformation is a way to bring observers of different velocities at different places together so they can 'compare notes'...see things from a common frame.
pigman70
Iv been reading about general and special relativity and then I came across Lorentz transformation but I can't seem to find out what it is could you please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, What I know is that : Just like a rotation is 3-D space, Lorentz transformation is a rotation in 4-D space-time.

a rotation in 3 space, is a transformation upon which the length of the initial vector is unchanged.
a Lorentz transformation, is a unique transformation in 4 space that preserves the length of the 4-vector of any line in 4 space, and it necessarily holds if there is a limit to translational velocity.

pigman70 said:
Iv been reading about general and special relativity and then I came across Lorentz transformation but I can't seem to find out what it is could you please help

There is this really neat facility on the internet called Google Search. You should learn how to use it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Last edited by a moderator:
Try wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation

The Lorentz transform is a way to bring observers of different velocities at different places together so they can 'compare notes'...see things from a common frame. It is a way to take into account the fact that the speed of light is constant,and finite, but distance and time are not constant!

As a simplistic example, if you are right alongside a house and a friend is a mile away how do you compare observations about the size of the house?? You need some sort of a transform, an adjustment to reflect your different positions. In relativity this gets more complicated since distance and time are not constant.

pigman70 said:
The Lorentz Transformation is how you convert the four coordinates of an event in one inertial Frame of Reference into the four coordinates for the same event in a second inertial Frame of Reference moving at a constant speed with respect to the first Frame of Reference.

phinds said:
There is this really neat facility on the internet called Google Search. You should learn how to use it.

I have been on there but have not found anything

pigman70 said:
I have been on there but have not found anything

That's quite astounding, since I went there and found far more information than I have any interest in reading, starting off with a quite long Wikipedia article. Obviously you did not do a Google search for "Lorentz transfromation" if you found nothing. What DID you search for?

The key idea is that you can drink coffee in an aeroplane moving at constant speed just as well as when you are stationary on the ground, as long as the aeroplane is flying at a constant velocity relative to the ground. This means that moving very fast is just as good as standing still. This means the laws of physics "look the same" under a "change in velocity". The Lorentz transformation is the proper way to "change velocity" so that the law of physics "look the same". (Prior to special relativity, it was thought that the Galilei transform did this, but it turns out to be only a good approximation to the Lorentz transformation for slow speeds.)

In Special Relatiovity an important part of the Lorentz transformation is the Lorentz contraction. If someone is moving relative to you, then his dimensions in the direction of motion will contract. His rocket ship will be shorter in your reference frame. If her approached c relative to you, his rocket would contract to a flat disc. But all linear motion is relative, and he will see you contracted too.

Mike

phinds said:
That's quite astounding, since I went there and found far more information than I have any interest in reading, starting off with a quite long Wikipedia article. Obviously you did not do a Google search for "Lorentz transfromation" if you found nothing. What DID you search for?
i did find the wikapedia aster but i really did not want to read the whole thing to find out 1 question so it was easier to do it this way

pigman70 said:
i did find the wikapedia aster but i really did not want to read the whole thing to find out 1 question so it was easier to do it this way
You got a whole lot of answers to your 1 question but did you get the answer you were looking for?

no way, tbh relativity can only be understood by dedication, if you don't feel like reading things, then you won't learn it

The OP has his answer, and I foresee nothing but piling on if this continues.

1. What is Lorentz transformation?

Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time change between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the early 20th century as a way to reconcile inconsistencies in the laws of physics that arose from the concept of a fixed speed of light.

2. Why is Lorentz transformation important?

Lorentz transformation is important because it forms the foundation of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It allows us to make accurate predictions about how physical quantities, such as length, time, and mass, appear to an observer in different frames of reference.

3. How is Lorentz transformation different from Galilean transformation?

Lorentz transformation is different from Galilean transformation in that it takes into account the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. In Galilean transformation, space and time are considered absolute and do not change between reference frames, whereas in Lorentz transformation, they are relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

4. What is the Lorentz factor?

The Lorentz factor, denoted by the Greek letter gamma (γ), is a term that appears in the Lorentz transformation equation. It is defined as 1/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)), where v is the relative velocity between two frames of reference and c is the speed of light. The Lorentz factor is used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

5. How is Lorentz transformation applied in real-life situations?

Lorentz transformation is applied in many areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and astrophysics. It is also used in practical applications, such as GPS technology, where the effects of relativity must be taken into account for accurate location calculations. Additionally, the principles of Lorentz transformation are crucial in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.