1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is sign of y if ball is thrown up?

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    This is a general question that i am confused about. If I throw a ball up, then is the distance that it reaches at the very top the y or y-initial? Also, is this y or y-initial positive or negative?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can define your coordinates however is the most convenient for solving any particular problem. The simplest 2-d coordinate system for projectile motion problems would be to put the origin on the ground, with the x-axis horizontal and the y-axis vertical. That means y=0 is at ground level, so if you are 6 feet tall and throw a ball up, then y(t=0)=6', and Vy(0)= whatever velocity you release the ball at time t=0. The height at the top of the ball's travel will depend on Vy(0) at the release point y(0)=6' plus however long it takes for the ball to stop moving up. Use an equation like this...

y(t) = y(0) + Vy(0)*t + 1/2*ay*t^2

Where a = the acceleration due to gravity, which in this case is -9.8m/s^2.

Does that help?

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3
    Yes, thank you

5. Sep 29, 2015 #4
    Also, the time that the ball takes to come down is twice the time the ball takes to reach its maximum height, right?

6. Sep 29, 2015 #5

berkeman

Not if you release it from your 6' height. Right? :smile:

7. Sep 29, 2015 #6

berkeman

Well, I mean the two times from release to apex, and from apex to hitting the ground. Those are not equal.

8. Sep 29, 2015 #7
    Yea, in understand it now thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook