What is Sound? Exploring Perception, Frequency & Wave Behavior

In summary, sound is the propagation of vibrations through a medium, which can be audible or inaudible and is used to describe the nature of a certain medium. Its definition may vary depending on the context and perspective of the individual or field of study.
kjamha
I am looking for a definition of sound. Does it have anything to do with what is perceived by the ear, and therefore restricted to certain frequencies? Is it even a perception or is it simply a longitudinal wave? I can find lots of physics material about sound, but I can't find a definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats the case for lots of words. Definitions are often context dependent.

From the context of the post and forum I would say that definition number one is what you want.

Well, there are several different words which are spelled 'sound'.

1. A sound is one type of a body of water.
2. Sound is that natural phenomenon which is perceived by the ear.
3. etc., etc.

When using a dictionary, it helps to winnow out which definition is of interest by knowing the part of speech, the context (as MP stated), etc. In English, there is no guarantee that a word will always have a single definition.

To be more specific, how would a physicist define sound?

The same way as everybody else. "Sound" doesn't have a specific technical meaning in physics (unlike "work" or "force").

ModusPwnd said:
From the context of the post and forum I would say that definition number one is what you want.

I disagree with #1 because the propagation of vibrations should qualify as sound whether or not it is audible to a witness. Noise, on the other hand, should require an audience because the term implies something that causes irritation.

Danger said:
I disagree with #1 because the propagation of vibrations should qualify as sound whether or not it is audible to a witness.

Should? Definitions are arbitrary, none of them "should" be anything.

ModusPwnd said:
Definitions are arbitrary
But they should be objective.

If an experiment in acoustics "doesn't work" because the experimenter is deaf, there's something wrong somewhere!

Objective? I'm not sure what that means with respect to definitions. I would agree that they should be useful and perhaps practical.

As for your situation, I would say there is something wrong - using a deaf person.

Otherwise, I have no objection to Danger's definition. I wouldn't be surprised if it was defined like that somewhere.

ModusPwnd said:
Should? Definitions are arbitrary, none of them "should" be anything.

I took your suggestion and googled "define"

From Google
de·fine

State or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/define

de·fine
a. To state the precise meaning of (a word or sense of a word, for example).

Macmillan Dictionary http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/define

to describe clearly and exactly what something is

Based on the definition of "define", I was hoping someone could provide the precise meaning of the word "sound". I'm thinking a physicists would probably have the most precise definition.

The main reason that I consider vibrations to be sound with or without an observer is that we use the speed of sound in a medium as the fastest rate at which a signal can be transmitted through it mechanically. For instance, we have received several questions about "faster than light" information from people who figured that you can push on the end of a stick here on Earth, who's other end is on Mars, and have that push be instantaneously transmitted. The proper response is that the movement can't propagate faster than the speed of sound in wood. Ignoring the logistical problems regarding orbital mechanics, the lack of a person on Mars doesn't negate the fact that a shift of mass occurs only after a significant delay. That push is "sound" because it involves the transfer of energy along a chain of atoms.
As I was asked in high-school, by someone who I can't remember: If Helen Keller falls over in the forest, does anyone hear her?

edit: Kjamha, I just spotted your last post. Bear in mind that most definitions are not consistent among differing cliques. You will not get the same ones from different bodies of expertise.

Last edited:
kjamha said:
I'm thinking a physicists would probably have the most precise definition.

They dont, probably because there isn't much need to define sound precisely. Many things do get very precise definitions in physics, but sound is not one of them.

Danger's post #13 is a great description. Understand sound by what it is mechanically: a bunch of atoms slamming into their buddies.

If Helen Keller falls over in the forest, does anyone hear her?
Crack me up.
( And that one went over how many persons heads... )

256bits said:
( And that one went over how many persons heads... )

Apparently one less than I expected... :biggrin:

I would say sound is simply pressure waves moving through atoms.

1. What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is created by vibrations travelling through a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations are detected by the ear and interpreted by the brain as sound.

2. How do we perceive sound?

We perceive sound through the ear, which consists of three parts: the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear. The outer ear collects sound waves and directs them to the middle ear, where they are amplified and transmitted to the inner ear. The inner ear then converts the vibrations into electrical signals that are sent to the brain for interpretation.

3. What is frequency and how does it relate to sound?

Frequency is the number of vibrations or cycles per second of a sound wave. It is measured in Hertz (Hz). The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound. Humans can typically hear frequencies ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

4. How do sound waves behave?

Sound waves behave as longitudinal waves, meaning that they travel in a back-and-forth motion parallel to the direction of the wave. They can also reflect, refract, and diffract, depending on the properties of the medium they are travelling through.

5. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums at different speeds. It travels faster through solids, such as steel, than through liquids, such as water, and even slower through gases, such as air. This is because the molecules in a solid are closer together and can transmit the vibrations more quickly.