What is the 2015th decimal number in the division 2015 by 7

  • Thread starter Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2015 Division
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Natasha1
Messages
494
Reaction score
9
What is the 2015th decimal number in the division 2015 by 7?

This is how I did it but is there an simpler way of showing this...

I did 2015/7 = 287.857142 857142 857142 857142 ...

As we have a recurring decimal for the numbers 857142, I divided 2015 by 6 which gives me a non finite answer so I then divided 2016 by 6 = 336. Therefore I concluded that the 2016th number must be an 8 and to answer the question which is 2015th number it must be the preceding number in the recurring pattern so it's 2.

Am I correct please and could anyone explain a clearer or simpler way, if it exist. Thank you :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By you reasoning, what is the 24th number ?
 
As there are 6 numbers in the sequence 857142 and 24/6 = 4 then the 24th number is 2
 
So what about the 2016 th number ?
 
In post #1
Natasha1 said:
to answer the question which is 2015th number it must be the preceding number in the recurring pattern so it's 2
 
Natasha1 said:
so I then divided 2016 by 6 = 336. Therefore I concluded that the 2016th number must be an 8
Natasha1 said:
As there are 6 numbers in the sequence 857142 and 24/6 = 4 then the 24th number is 2
Do you see the contradiction in your two results?