What is the 3D wave function and energy of an electron in an extended 1D well?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sgod88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    1d 3d
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sgod88
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1. Quantum well structure can be realized by sandwiching layers of semiconductor and two insulators.
This sandwiching problem was often treated with 1 D infinite well. Suppose now the problem is 3 dimensional well with length L at z direction from 0 to L, at which

V(x,y,z)= 0 when 0<z<L
infinity otherwise
where V(x) and V(y) is 0. We assume x and y be infinitely large.

Wht is the total energy and the wave function of the electron in such well?
2. I have done the separation of varibales in the Schrödinger equation and obtained the three independent wavefunction.
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\psi_{x_{i}}=E \psi_{x_{i}}[/tex]
But i don't know what is the boundary condition of the x and y.
I only got psi(z) is the psi of the one d wavefunction.
[tex]\psi_{z}=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n \pi z}{L})[/tex]
I just cannot get the constant for the wavefunctions for x and y.
I know that
[tex]\psi(x)=\psi(x+2\pi)[/tex]
but I still cannot get the value of the constant and the energy.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume periodic boundary conditions?

It is an infinite well. Remember, that means the wavefunction is zero at all boundaries of the well.
 
But now V(x,y,z)=V(z), where V is not a function of x and y anymore.
With this condition, in x and y, the wavefunction is certainly not zero, it is a free particle.
[tex]\psi_{x}=e^{i(kx-wt)}[/tex]